Need help/opinion on a used Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlueKiteStudios, Mar 24, 2014.

1. BlueKiteStudios

BlueKiteStudios

Hello guys&gals!
    I'm a pro recording studio owner in Turkey and have always wanted a USA precision bass for the studio. I own a Cort A5 which I had gotten real real cheap and it has served me well but I prefer the precision bass for the types of recording I mix/master.
    I found this on a Turkish site but didn't know if it was a fake or not. If you click just below the photos, you can view hi-res versions of them. Don't have to understand Turkish, just taking a look at the pics would suffice.
    http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alis...cision-1997-yili-yapimli-bass-157279556/detay
    The guy was kind of rude, when I asked him what exact model the bass was he said he didn't know. It's a USA Precision, but is it a Standart or a Special or whatever I don't know. I did some research but seems there are tons of different precisions out there, could you guys help me out with this?
    I researched the SN by the way and it says it was made in 2007, the guy says 97.
    I'm hoping he's a bit ignorant, not a smartass cause I'd really wanna buy this and the price is great.
    He lives in another town if you guys were to verify it as an original USA standart precision, I'd be willing to travel there and make the purchase after testing it out of course.
    Thanks so much.
    Cheers,
    Mahmut
    Blue Kite Studios

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

3. BlueKiteStudios

BlueKiteStudios

The site's like the Turkish version of ebay, it doesn't let me save the pics but the pics are in the link I posted above. The SN is Z7157664.
    Thanks!

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That is a fake! Fender has never marked serial numbers in that manner. Logo on the headstock is also fake. Single ply white pickguard makes me think it might be a Squire he is trying to pass off as a Fender. Run away!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grrg63

grrg63

7. BlueKiteStudios

BlueKiteStudios

Thank you sir.
    The headstock did indeed seem fishy.

8. grrg63

grrg63

Good luck Mahmut, can you buy one from an online site?

9. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

May be talking apples and oranges, but I have a '75 Fender Re-issue Jazz Bass and it's the same serial # format. I can't speak for the 6 digits and what they might decode into but mine is surely Z7 285XXX and it was made in 2007 which seems to jive with Fender's dating faq: http://www.fender.com/support/articles/u-s-instruments-product-dating/

In 2010 they started with the US prefix.

Not sure about that font though!!

10. BlueKiteStudios

BlueKiteStudios

Yeah I can buy them online sure, there are quite a few 2nd hand stores in Istanbul however prices are pretty high here compared to the states :) They go for around 1500$ used. This one was around 650 $, would have been great :)

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I don't know if this is a option. There are great deals and good people selling stuff in the gear for sale forum here. You might get hit with duty and who knows how long it would be in customs but it might be worth considering.

12. BlueKiteStudios

BlueKiteStudios

Had to bring lots of gear from all over the World while building my studio. Sadly, our country is run by fanatic muslims who consider art/music to be redundant. We have tons of taxes for bringing in music equipment, so what I do is have someone bring it to me personally instead of shipping that way I don't have to pay 1200 $ to import a 2000$ guitar/bass/etc into the country :(
    But yeah I plan to visit this summer :)
    My fav precisions are 57 reissues with the metal pup guard, just wish they had diamond inlays like the jazz basses do :)

13. 30yobass

30yobass

My cheap precision copy had the same bridge with huge block saddles. Fender never used that kind of bridge, neither the fonts...

14. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
  15. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

The headstock isn't even the right shape, is it?

16. Arnie

Arnie

I think it may have been made in the Chinese Fullerton plant..

17. BlueKiteStudios

BlueKiteStudios

I wasn't expecting this much attention. Wow guys, thank you so much :)
    While we're at it, when I'm trying out a used real standart precision bass.. what should I be looking to make sure it works/plays fine?
    I know about buying used guitars, I usually check the headstock to see if it's resonating while being played, that's always a good sign with fenders.