1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

need help picking a new LH bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dallasdave22, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dallasdave22

dallasdave22

Hi all,

I started trying to play guitar but I find I enjoy bass a lot more. I only play bass with my fingers - I like the feeling of attacking the instrument that I don't get playing with a pick.

My current bass is pretty bad - it's a knockoff I bought at a pawnshop and wiring is starting to go. Instead of trying to patch it up, I think it's time to get a decent beginner bass. :)

I don't want to spend a lot of money (over $600) and I think I've narrowed it down to two basses. I'm looking for feedback from folks that have either.

first is the squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s. Not sure why it's called vintage or modified, but it is a nice looking bass. Reviews I've seen online say it's a good starter bass.
    http://www.fender.com/basses/jazz-b...ss-70s-left-handed-maple-fingerboard-natural/
    The only bad thing I could find is that it only has 20 frets - not sure if I really need anything higher.

second is the ibanez sr500.
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...9&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=2&series_id=112
    This one is more expensive than the squire. It has more controls and goes up to 24 frets. The only bad thing I could find on this one was that people have commented that the wood is kinda soft and if you aren't careful you can easily damage it.

None of the stores in my area have either bass and won't order them in so I can try them out (they don't want to be stuck with the extra stock). Most mail order places will let you return within X number of days, but you have to pay the shipping back. So before I order either, I wanted to see if anyone out there had either one and their thoughts.
    thanks
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Greetings Fellow Lefty! :cool:

I only know the lefty Squier 70's VM by reputation as good solid bass. I have heard one being played live and it sounded just fine!

I realize that the left-handed Fender American Standards are way out of your price range, but I give them my highest recommendation. I've never played a better bass than my 2012 Am. Std. Jazz. Yes, even better than my '76 Precision.

The Made In Mexico Fender Standards are excellent in your $600 price point.

It is a damn shame that leftys can't just waltz into a GC and play all three for a hands on C&C the way righties can. :(

Good luck in your quest! :)
  3. MrTaff

MrTaff