Need help picking strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jake Morris, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

I picked up the upright bass about 2 years ago, with a Kay as my first real upright. About a year later I sold it and got a nice 1948 Russian 7/8 hybrid with spirocores, light gauge. I play mostly jazz, but do use the bow, especially for practicing. I don't really like my tone. It's very deep and bassy, but lacks mids and presence and attack I've heard in other basses I've tried. My bass is very heavy compared to other typical basses. I was thinking of trying some other strings to see if they would help open up the bass and give it a more defined tone. Maybe mixed set of what I have and some velvet animas? Any advice, as I have not experimented with many strings, is welcomed. As far as people who's tone I dig, it's mainly Ron Carter's. Big, full sound, with nice attack, but not too aggressive.

2. donn

donn

I want to start with the disclaimer that I don't know anything and this might be a terrible idea, but ... in your position, I might crank the tuning up a half step, and listen to what you get, and also try down. All 4 strings, not just one. That simple experiment might give some interesting data on how your bass responds to string tension.