Need help please!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enola gay, Oct 26, 2013.

1. enola gay

enola gay

Hi everyone.When i play my bass in the studio i can hardly hear my high notes(D,G strings)because of the two guitars.So i thought of buying o bass booster that boosts the high notes to.I 'm thinking about electro harmonix steel leather, but then i saw the moll at a lower price. Which one would do the job best? Do you have anything else to suggest?Thanks a lot.

2. necropain

necropain

i love the mole so don't take this as hate.
    DON'T GET THE MOLE. it will do the opposite of what you want
    the mole boosts lows and cuts highs, a lot.
    literally hella boosts low and then hella cuts highs.
    that being said i think either the steel leather or some compressor will do what you want

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are you talking about recording in the studio? If so, is the problem something you hear only in monitoring while playing/recording, or only in playback of the tracks, or both?

If the problem is only while you play and monitor, then you could change your monitor system around. Add some EQ to that monitor channel, to boost the highs, or position the monitor speaker closer to your head.

If the problem is only in playback, then the engineer needs to do a better job of EQ'ing you in the mix.

If you're not recording, and by "in the studio" you meant "in the practice room", then there are a lot more options. Any EQ pedal can boost your highs, you don't need a special "bass booster that boosts highs". Or just use the EQ on your amp. Or get a speaker cab that has a better high end extension, and/or point the speaker up closer to your head. Use new stainless roundwounds. Adjust the pickups so their height is nearer the high strings and farther from the low ones. Adjust your playing technique so you pluck more strongly on high notes and more gently on low notes. Try a dual-band compressor.

4. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I feel like we all say this too much already but...

What bongo said. lol

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. liveburning274

liveburning274

The answer to 90% of the questions that are in the effects forum...

7. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

That, and what I was gonna type...

Bongo beat me to it.

8. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Above the "ask a pro" section they should have a "ask bongo or JimmyM"

9. enola gay

enola gay

Yes i meant practice room and not recording studio,sorry.My pickups are well adjusted,the bass amp is well adjusted too,my strings are allways new,and i play very hard all of my notes.The thing is that there are two guitars with distortion pedals in the room,so i need something that gives me better high end.I don't want to spend money without reason.This is why i'm asking your opinion.Thanks a lot all of you:)

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You say that even though adjusting them differently could solve your problem?
    That's OK in hardcore punk music where aggro is the only thing that matters; but in every other genre, even extreme metal, you'll find that good players use dynamic control of their finger/pick technique.

11. necropain

necropain

ummmm, what bongo said, seriously this guy really helped me with my problems, involving volume and mix.

12. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    avoid them at your peril

13. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Most likely you'll find that your amp settings sound great when practicing alone, but need a different EQ when at rehearsal. Why not just adjust the amp's settings/EQ to help you sit in the mix where you want to be? If you're opposed to that for some reason, note that an EQ pedal or colored boost pedal is going to alter you tone in pretty much the same way.

And/Or you could have them the the bass knob on their amps down a bit. A lot of times the bass frequency on guitar amps is the same frequency range that the bass gets it's articulation and presence. Having the guitar players make a change is usually a lot less likely.. So good luck with that.