1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need help pricing a 1960 P Bass for sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Have owned this bass since 1984 and have rarely used it as it has a wide flat neck that's a bit too much for my hands. I have never had it apart as the pick guard has shrunken and I'm afraid of breaking it.
    I am reasonably sure that the decal was replaced during the refinish (before I got it) and have no reason to suspect that pups are anything but original.
    It plays perfectly; currently set up with lowish action.
    It records like a monster as the super light resonant body literally sings on tape. I would guess that this is in the 8 lb. range.
    What's something like this worth as I may as well sell it since it NEVER gets played.

Attached Files:

2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

More pics.

Attached Files:

3. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I have no idea what it's worth, but am pretty sure you'll have to disassemble it and take detailed pics if you're going to get a decent price. Plus, once you've taken the pics the buyer can't try to scam you by saying he received something else.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I understand documentation is necessary for a real buyer.
    Assuming it's all there, what is a 1960 refinished P Bass worth?
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Lets see a shot of the second decal ?
    If everything is what you say. The bass is in the 5K range.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 after collecting vintage guitars for years I have reached the conclusion it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but just looking at the pics and if everything matches I would have a reserve in the neighborhood of $5000-$6000 even with the refinish.
  7. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

What year? Earlier 60's are worth more. Give me an exact year and I can give you a realistic price at which it will actually sell. Also what year was it refinished in? How many owners before yourself?

$4k seems like the highest you would get, TBH. A refin 65 sold for 3k not to long ago. (given it wasn't 100% original) Everything else from the 60's hasn't really sold. a refin 65 with all orginal listed for 5k didn't sell. So I would guestimate you would be looking at 4.5k-4k
  8. mndean

mndean

Since you bought it in 1984 and it's a refin, you can assume nothing about its originality. It could be a parts bass, with a 1960s neck and a nonmatching body with a non-Fender pickup and pots from the '80s. It could be all original, who knows? It's got be disassembled and photos taken. Let a pro do it if you can't. Nobody will take your word for its age and originality when cash is on the line.
  9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

This would be a horrible time to sell a refinn'd 1960 P...but, if you have to...check Ebay right now to get an idea...I don't even want to post a number, it would seem insulting.

Lets just say I've seen a handful of pre-CBS refinished P basses on Ebay not getting much action for around $3500 (no reserve)
  10. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

I had a 1960 refin in Olympic white that was documented original down to the pickguard screws. Put it up for sale in 2001 and only got $1,800 for it after several weeks on the market and just a few offers. Vintage guitars and basses took off in value after that but have since slid back down to more reasonable levels. I think your bass would bring between $3,800 and $4,500, assuming its otherwise all original and depending on what your photos show.
  11. chef wong

chef wong

If you consider yourself a bassist you really shouldn't sell such an important instrument.

If you do..you'll take a big loss. A refin and logo swipe will cost you. The quality of the bass is still there, though.
  12. MR PC

MR PC

About $2500 tops to a motivated player, much less to a dealer. You could possibly part it out for a little more, assuming it's all original. Lousy time to sell, when I sold my very worn but all original "64 P for $5k five years ago, I felt very lucky.
  13. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    :rollno:
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

With the body AND the headstock refinished, I'd have to agree with those pricing this in the $2,500 range, give or take. That is providing that the refin is the only issue.
  15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Paid 2200 for my 63 refin here on TB about a year ago, electronics seem original but the HW looked like repro and the PG was not original according to JohnK (who set it up great and added a period correct decal). Sold pretty quick at that price, so I imagine a 60 refin with original HW and electronics shouldn't be more than 4K and possibly closer to 3-3.5K. Just guessin, mind you.
  16. MR PC

MR PC

I sold my 64 for the same reason...as a player the neck wasn't right for me. To wide and flat, the only way it was comfy was to sit down and pull the bass down Jamerson style, and I didn't enjoy doing that either. And since it was 100% stock, I didn't want to change anything, including removing the nut.

You might try having a nut installed with a narrower string spacing, since the bass has already been changed a lot. Might make it more comfy.
  17. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

$3.5k-4.5k if all is original. You have a better chance of making more by selling international. Frets look pretty worn and thus filed down so a buyer might need a refret soon?
  18. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

Neck plate looks odd...
  19. miles'tone

miles'tone

Any ideas as to what it's refinished with? Very nice tint.
  20. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Looks like semi gloss lacquer; I think this refinish is really old and does look very vintage
    The back of the neck was not re-sprayed and is very smooth and comfy

From what I hear from you guys the non-original finish kills the value.