Need help pricing a 70's P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Have owned this one since forever as well.
    Blonde with non original guard although I have a new parchment Fender guard for it.
    Medium weight (approx. 9ish lbs) no issues, plays well, never had it apart.
    Need to sell and no idea of a fair price.

Attached Files:

2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Serial number:

Attached Files:

3. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

I have a 75 almost exactly like this!

4. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

If it's all original other than the guard (including the body finish), then it seems like similar ones have been going for anywhere between 1300-1800. You'll find many on ebay (and elsewhere, including here) priced much higher, but they typically don't sell for those higher numbers unless it's a truly exceptional example.

Good luck with it! I used to have a '74-'75 that looked almost identical. Wish I still did.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
  7. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Looks like a 71-74. (Year will vary on price) Looks to be very clean, if you can get a Same year pickguard for it (spend a little to make a little more) You are 1 owner so I would say right in the 2.2k neighborhood if you get a Same year pickguard. Otherwise it won't be worth as much.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I think you could ask $2k for it...maybe $2500 if you're feelin lucky, but the market is pretty low right now for 70's P's.

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

What year is that? Any P bass made after '73 is going to be hard , if not impossible to sell to a CONUS buyer for more then $2000 in that state.

I would say thats a 12-$1300 bass.

10. MR PC

MR PC

.... '70's P Basses that fit this description have usually been uniformly pretty mediocre, they sealed a lot of those bodies with a thick finish as green wood, that's why they always sound better after they are stripped.....you might try to come up with something a little more enthusiastic for a first description....imo most of these '70's P basses that fit your description are logs......$750 to the motivated player

11. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Yeah, this is kind of what I mean. Everybody and their mom is asking 2K for '70s P basses, but none of them are selling at that price. If the OP wants to know realistically what to sell it for, I'd say ask 1500 and see how it goes.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One of my favorite colors. I am all set for P-basses though. Try around $1500.00

That's not unreasonable. Plus, it's mostly all there.

Good luck.

13. A-Step-Towards

Yeah i think 1500$ is a good starting price. If I knew the year I could say more on price, it looks like a 74-76. To get the $1500 pictures of pots, pickups etc would be needed. The guard will detract a little bit. After some haggling , shipping , paypal fee's etc, i think clearing $1300 is possible.

If you did post more detail pics of it I in fact maybe interested in it, I love the color.

14. MR PC

MR PC

I watch these basses sit for months at a time at those prices, boys. All over the place. If it isn't collectible by pro collectors standards, you might get lucky and find someone who buys. Otherwise the high prices of just a few years ago are falling, just like everything else.

15. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Jeez...I think this thing could be quite a bit more than you guys are saying. Down here in Atlanta I bought a kinda beat up but not badly beat up by any means 77' Jazz with replaced bridge and pickups for $1400 a few weeks ago. That was considered an absolute steal for around here. Best deal I've seen in a long while actually. A bass like yours could go above 2K here on the right day.

16. A-Step-Towards

70's Jazz basses are also worth more then 70's P basses, they have more deluxe features and also were made less.

17. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

True, but just as far as price point goes you could get way more in my local market. Only 70's P on craiglist that I saw a couple days ago is $2,200 for an original 78 (I think it was a 78).

18. MR PC

MR PC

Now we're kickin' tires here really! ......"on the right day":D I think these basses are OK, lots of newer basses being produced are just as good, even better...but nothing touches the kind of sound that you spoke of when describing your 60 P Bass.

So it seems that starting high price wise will be the best way to go if you aren't in a hurry. You can never rule out the influence of Lady Luck!:)

19. MR PC

MR PC

Right, and a buyer shows up at your house with either a weapon, or $600 cash.:D

20. BrickBat66

BrickBat66 Banned

What year is it exactly?

21. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

White is a color that usually goes for a premium. That one looks to have aged VERY nicely. Probably a perk to the selling price.