Need Help Removing Partially Broken Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bjlevine, Apr 14, 2014.

1. bjlevine

bjlevine

Trying to remove a broken nut from an Affinity V bass. Unfortunately, the more I try the more it breaks. There is now most of the middle section of the nut which seems solidly glued to the bottom of the slot.

Any suggestions is appreciated. I'm about to go after it with my Dremel tool.
  2. SlapPopPluck

SlapPopPluck

To get my nut off I usually just rub vigorously for a while. ;)
  3. bjlevine

bjlevine

Thanks. It's too early for that. ;-)
  4. Bobster

Bobster

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Can you post a quick pic of what's left before you attack?

It's tough to give quality info without at least taking a look at what you're currently dealing with.
  7. bjlevine

bjlevine

bobster, thanks. I'm actually going to use a blank as I am converting this to an 8 string.

I'll post a picture of the nut later when I get home.
  8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Lemon juice? Where did you ever get that one from?
  9. Bobster

Bobster

10. mrbell321

mrbell321

Uhm... It's usually lemon oil which, I think, doesn't actually come from a lemon... it's just called that.
  11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Razor saw (Exacto or the like) a kerf lengthwise through the nut. Crush the nut with some end nippers. Remove remaining bits, pieces, and glue residue with a narrow chisel. It is low tech, but faster than dragging out the Dremel, installing the proper cutter, doing the work, and returning everything to the storage bin. There is also less chance of a catastrophe occurring from overzealous machining.

If you do not have a narrow nut slot chisel you can grind a serviceable chisel on the tang of an old file. Size width of tang as necessary. Or you can purchase dedicated nut slot files from Stewart MacDonald. If you are undertaking projects of this size you should be considering the investment in dedicated tools.
  12. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

If you have a soldering iron, you can try heating it to soften the glue.

Then use a chisel, knife, flat-head screwdriver, etc to pry the rest of it out.

Finally, clean up with a file and chisel.
  13. Lownote38

Lownote38

I've always just given it a light tap with a screwdriver and small hammer. I've never damaged anything doing it that way.
  14. bjlevine

bjlevine

[​IMG]
    Not much of the nut left. I have the saw blade for my X-Acto knife, so I may just go after it with that. I've already figured out the spacing for the new nut. I should probably finish that before inserting it to the bass anyway.
  15. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I'm surprised that tapping the end of what is left with a small chisel or screwdriver doesn't break it loose.
  16. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I'd try to heat it up to soften up whatever glue is underneath there, and then tap it again using a wood dowel.

Whoever assembled that bass used too much glue under the nut. It should be a very tiny amount - literally just enough
    to keep it in the slot without falling out. The rest of the time, the string pressure takes care of the rest.

Anyway, let us know how you do.
  17. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Lemon Juice... absolutely not. Bad info. Lemon Oil or products containing what's called Lemon Oil... Okay.

Here's a link to the website of a very well known and respected luthier, Frank Ford. If you're looking for legitimate advice on the correct way to do stuff check out his full site.
    http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenMaint/Cleaning/cleaning01.html