Need help selecting a cab, confused on what to look for

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheShmef, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TheShmef

TheShmef

Hello all! I'm obviously new here, and I have a couple questions about cabs in particular. I'm running an Ampeg B1-Re, nothing special or particularly nice, and am looking for a cab to pair it up with. Now, as with most people, money is usually an object, and used stuff tends to be the best value, and in that alley I have a few options.

There's a Fender Bassman 70 cab, which is an older 2x15 that, while somewhat beat cosmetically, sounds pretty good to my admittedly inexperienced ear that might be available from a friend of mine for about $170.

The other option is a local Ampeg 410HE for $250. There's two of them in the ad, one with casters and one without and he's selling them separate, so time isn't a huge issue, and he's willing to set them up with his amp or one you bring to try them out. The same seller also has a 1x15 Ampeg cab that I've read pairs well with the 4x10, but I don't know if I'll be struggling for low end enough to justify that much boxage.

Now, this friend is known to be a little on the crafty/wheeling and dealing side of things when it comes to selling, but he sold the Ampeg amp that I'm using now for what seems like a reasonable $120, considering nothing is wrong with it (I had it checked out at my LMS to make sure I wasn't getting taken for some kind of ride). In addition to the Fender and the Ampeg, there is an Bullfrog Alumabass 4x10 on my local CL, and from what I've read they sound pretty alright, but that's totally out of my territory in terms of knowledge. It seems like they were piggybacking on those 90's Hartke's with the aluminum cones, but I don't know.

As far as my needs, I'm playing 4 and 5 string stuff, generally rock and funk. I've played through the Fender and it sounds alright, but it's a little bit on the dirty side, and my only experience with Ampeg cabs are in music shops, and of course they sound magical because they're always hooked up to SVTs and the like. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what some of these sound like to to other players, and if these are fair prices assuming the condition is acceptable, that sort of thing. Any help is much appreciated!

-Shmef

2. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the Ampeg as a safe bet. Good all around and definitely good enough if you are starting out.

It might be cool to try out the Bullfrog. I've never gotten into aluminum cones, but maybe it's a good cab. Looks a dash bulky/heavy.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Older Fender? Not much to go on.

Fender aren't generally known for bass cabs. You say it's sounding dirty, that's probably it running out of power handling in the bass frequencies with a 300W amp up it.

I don't like 4x10 as they only sound right when right out in front of them. Fender style diagonally mounted 2x15 probably isn't any better at dispersing mids and highs. Keep looking.

4. TheShmef

TheShmef

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to go check out the Ampeg, since the friend selling the Fender is now getting all "maybe I don't want to sell it" about it, which sounds like code for scam. I'll try the Alumabass too, at the very least it looks pretty cool, and I can bring my amp to try it out. I've been playing through an Ampeg BA115 (the one with that annoying kickback) and I like the way it sounds, it's just not very loud and the tweeter in it is noisy as all get out. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

There's also a Peavey 410 TXF for sale on there for $350 that looks promising.

5. Register to disable this ad