Need help setting up amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I have obtained a Mesa Boogie Walkabout amplifier head... it uses 1/4" outputs for the speaker and I don't have an external cabinet to hook it up to. That said, I do have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2-12T combo amplifier which has an awesome speaker. It has a single speakon output however. How do I make sure what kind of adapter I need, or cable.. to be able to use this cabinet with my Mesa Boogie head.

Thanks.

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

you can just use a cable with a speakon jack on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other end.

Mind, that you'll push the Mesa's powersignal into the powersection of the shuttle combo and pray that the speaker's wired parallel to that.
    could work. could blow up :)

3. tylerwylie

I can unplug the speakon cable from the Shuttle 6.2, it's just a very short cable. Would like to remove the genz head from the little assembly they have and put the mesa head on top, and hook up the speakon output to the mesa using some adapter but I'm not sure if I need a special type of adapter.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Make sure you indeed disconnect the Genz amplifier from the speaker that is built into its combo cabinet. Then you are free to do as stated....use a 1/4"-------->Speakon cable and play your Mesa through the GenzBenz speaker.

What you don't want is 2 amps pushing power into each other. 1 amp and 1 speaker = OK.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

el murdoque has your answer. Go get a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable and a Speakon connector. Cut the cable to length and install Speakon connector - it's solderless. If you get a cable twice as long as you need and a two pack of Speakon connectors, you can make a backup. Make sure to get genuine Neutrik Spekaon connectors.

Lots of info here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/make-your-own-speakon-speakon-cables-777115/

If you have trouble with the pin-outs just come back and get help, but it's as easy as can get.

Or just buy the cable they are common.

7. tylerwylie

Well if you look at the way the cable comes out of the cabinet, I think some sort of adapter is needed. I just know there are different types of adapters with positive/negative/ground being different.

[​IMG]

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Or if you want to just build it into the cable:

http://www.parts-express.com/neutri...connector-black-chrome-metal-housing--092-338

Another option is to replace the existing Speakon with a 1/4 plug for your amp, but an extension/adapter cable will give you more reach and preserve your cab.

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Looks to me like the speaker end of the cable is hardwired into the speaker/cabinet.

Dude could go about chopping ends off and soldering and such....or just get a Speakon to 1/4" adapter and plug it right in. Not that complicated really....and I think is what agedhorse was saying in his post. Talking about a 6 or 8" speaker cable here, not some 40' run over to the mains stack stage left. The cable provided on the combo looks plenty over-engineered to me already. :)

11. tylerwylie

Think I'll grab that adapter. Love how the cab sounds, using this Mesa until I can get a Streamliner 900. The preamp sounds great but not sure about the power output.

12. tylerwylie

So with this adapter I can connect the speakon output of the cabinet into one end, and then run a 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable to the back of my Mesa Walkabout?

13. agedhorse

No, the adapter turns the SpeakOn female into a SpeakOn male. From the SpeakOn male you can use a standard SpeakOn to whatever cable.

14. tylerwylie

Yea the head doesn't have a speakon connection available, only 1/4" outputs. So I can use a speakon to 1/4" cable?

15. agedhorse

Yes, the speak-on end will connect to the male-male coupler. That's the purpose of the coupler, to provide a male point of connection for any standard cable (all SpeakOn cables use female ends).