Need help setting up rack

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lesh_Philling, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Lesh_Philling

Lesh_Philling

After 25 yrs I decided to pick up a bass again, never had effects before, let alone a rack but what the hell I got one..

here's what I have:

Peavey Tour 700 Amp
    Behringer V-Amp Pro, that came with a Behringer FBQ3102
    Eden EX410N8 rated 1000W
    Spector Legend 5 String

My problem is I have no idea how to hook everything up to get the most out of it, do I want it balanced? Unbalanced? do I use 1/4 speaker plugs to connect the rack together or the XLR cables, I have no idea (got in a little over my head). I have been researching on this for a week and still not getting it.. http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr206/jazz7568/navlight002.jpg
    http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr206/jazz7568/navlight001.jpg
    Any help is appreciated,

Thank you

I am hoping CharlieC will chime in here, he seems to be a guru with the V-Amp

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

If it were me and I intended to use the V-amp

I would plug my bass signal into the V-amp and then send the affected signal from the V-Amp to the front end of the Peavey and then into my cab!!! via the 1/4" plugs (Speakon for amp to cab) and save the XLR for FOH if need be

3. Lesh_Philling

Lesh_Philling

Thanks Snake,

BTW what does "save the XLR for FOH" mean?

this set-up is just for me to mess around on, it's not goin to leave my office..

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The XLR cable jack should be reserved to run an XLR cable to the Front Of House (P.A) sound system. Your soundman will appreciate it, and you best treat your soundman like gold, he can make or break you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lesh_Philling

Lesh_Philling

Thanks for the info Diabolus,

I get the plug the bass to the V-Amp, but sending the effected signal out, am I using the "analog line outputs" there is left and right or "post DSP insert" there is also a left and right? so do I need a Y cable to go from the V-Amp to the "IN" jack?

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Check the manual, but you just want to use one, probably the right. I am not familiar with the V-Amp, but two 1/4" outputs usually means the device puts out in stereo, so each one would go to a different amp. I could be wrong, but I would be absolutely shocked if you needed some kind of special Y cable to use a piece of Behringer gear.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Use unbalanced shielded cables. These are regular guitar cords, nothing fancy. No XLR, no balanced, no speaker cable except to connect the amp to a speaker.

Balanced cables are for long cable runs, like the 50' from a stage to a soundman, they will not help you in your specific case.