Need help to decide: CIJ Fender vs. '78 Greco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skinperforator, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Skinperforator

Skinperforator

Hello,

I have a hard decision to make and hopefully you can help me with this.
    I want to buy an affordable Jazz Bass. Because I have no chance to get a good one in my hometown I have to order from the internet.
    Now I found two for about the same price. Maybe you can tell me which one would be the better choice.

First is Crafted in Japan Fender Jazz Bass '62 reissue, 97-00 built with US pickups, this one I would have to import from Japan to Germany, but I calculated the price including customs and fees.
    This one:
    [​IMG]

The other one would be a Greco Jazz Bass from 1978 with hardcase. This is it:
    [​IMG]

What do you think is the better one?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. rodl2005

rodl2005

I'd probably go the Greco. Just coz it's old, made in similar place. Upgrade pups maybe & it's as good as any old Fender.
    Many do love the mij Fenders tho. :banghead:
  3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

the greco looks cooler, however some folks love the usa pickups in the japanese basses, i play a hot rodded 84 japanese squier myself, sorry i can't pick either
  4. jetbike

jetbike

Sunburst and Tort = manadatory rosewood fretboard.

Yes, I am that superficial.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pudgychef

pudgychef

Is the Greco already local? Might be worth saving the hassle of overseas shipping..My old Greco P bass was a full on killer

however (imho) you can't go wrong with those higher end MIJ/CIJ basses - great necks, ime, and great fit and finish..the red tort looks a little to red to me for the burst - but that is a matter of preference

make sure you let us know what you choose
  7. IPYF

IPYF

I never met a CIJ Fender neck that I didn't like. I'd go the Fender for the neck alone. But that said, it's a really nice looking Greco. Really hard to split the two. Where's the pricepoint at on both?
  8. Mtnman

Mtnman

I gotta go with the Fender too. The Greco looks kinda cool, but the longer I play, the more I appreciate Fenders.
  9. CnB77

CnB77

I agree. Maple never looks right with that combo to me, and maple with black blocks is a turn off for me.
  10. Skinperforator

Skinperforator

Yeah the Greco is from Germany, so no oversea shipping and no customs. But in the end both about 600€.
    Lookwise I also like the Fender better. But the long way shipping scares me a bit. Also there's no case with it. But it's a experienced seller. So I think it should work fine.
    Just want to check I get the best for my money. :)
  11. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

Do you want a real Fender or a copy?
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm going with the Greco those bad boys are really good.
  13. Jacsipmac

Jacsipmac Supporting Member

I'd go Greco, but I have a thing for the old lawsuit stuff.

If the fender was MIJ from Fugi Gen then it would be a fair fight. The Greco is vintage, probably a Matsumoku, which makes it every bit as good as a Fender from the same time period.

A decent comparison would be a 90s CIJ to a 70s American Fender.

The Greco wins every time. Plus it's local.

I have an 80s Aria Pro ii Precise bass from Matsumoku. I'd put it up against any American P-bass from any time period. It's incredible. And the Grecos, if I'm correct, were made by the very same people.
  14. Skinperforator

Skinperforator

I also tend to Greco by now. I think it's at least at equal quality and it's safer to get.
  15. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

I've played my CIJ P Bass and a similar era 70's Ibanez P Bass w/ Maple FB against a dozen other P's at a local shootout. They were both in the Top 4 alongside a Nash P w/ Lollars and a rare Custom Model MIJ (Custom Shop equivalent) w/ Badass bridge.

Ibanez was heavier - close to 10lbs and a deep but comfy neck. Absolutely loved the tone 100% original.
    CIJ has a real 'authority' to its sound, so much so I use it before my '69 P Bass (recent purchase) at louder rock gigs..... the guitarist has dubbed it 'the freight train'. :lol:

Both are close but I'd split them by weight firstly, then neck profile (you won't really know until you play them). Aesthetics third, but both are sexy.

PS. Maple board w/ black blocks would have to be the EASIEST to see which fret you are at while playing a gig.
  16. rodl2005

rodl2005

Wait. I thought both were online purchases.
    If the Greco is local. .. Try it! !:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    If it FEELS good. ....
  17. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

I found these pics of a '72 Jazz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I have a MIJ P-bass from that era, it has made me a MIJ Fender believer.

However, I have a thing for maple necks, I just like the feel and the look better. As for those who don't like burst, tort and maple together... put a black guard on the Greco and it would look sweet. (I like black guards on everything though.)
  19. Skinperforator

Skinperforator

It's also online, but at least from my country.
    Seller replied to me that he has to let adjust the frets because it's not playing well on the G-string. So it may take a while longer.

In the meanwhile I found this Tokai JB45 from 1983. Also a good alternative!?

[​IMG]
  20. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Buy the Fender.

The Greco is the same bass as the Ibanez silver series Jazz Bass from the same year.
    Same producer, different name.
    That Ibanez was my first bass 36 years ago - so I know those basses very well.
    (in the same color combi like the Greco in the picture)

They are ok, but some measurements are not exactly Fender. This could occure problems if you wanna replace parts.
    Screw holes for the bridge and the holes for the pups: the same
    Neck pocket: not the same measurements!
    Tuner holes: not the same measurements. (and the tuners on those basses are always crap)
    Pickguard: not the same measurements.

The Fender Japan has the original measurements, you can install every Fender-part or Fender-compatible part on it.

Because you are from germany:
    kauf den Fender, der hat Originalabmessungen, falls Du später was austauschen willst, ist das kein Problem.
    Der Greco ist identisch mit dem Ibanez, den ich kaufte, als ich 14 war.
    Ist ganz nett, aber diese ganzen 70er Japanteile werden gerne sentimental überhöht.

Die Japan Fenders sind hervorragend!
    Berichte bitte mal, was Du dafür löhnen musst.
  21. kenjikun

kenjikun

I'd go with the Fender. That Greco in the picture was made between 1976-1978 by Matsumoku. However, the problem with old Greco is the truss rod. I sold all my 5 Greco basses made from 1976-1982 because of very tight truss rod and neck bow.