need help valuating a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TinyE, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TinyE

TinyE

this guy i work with has pretty much pushed a warmoth gecko fretless 5 into my hands. he doesn't know much about it, but also has a warwick thumb 6. he doesn't play this one, and was trying the 'heroin' approach with me...i.e. get me hooked on the bass so i'd buy it from him.

the trouble is, i'm more of a low-end player (own nothing expensive), and i have no idea what to offer, and not even sure it is for me (i'm a fretted 4 player). I thought i would post it out here with the thought i could get an idea of what it was worth. I"ve only had it for 2 days, but if I decide it's not for me, i will list it for sale.

I know the classified rules say you must list a price, but i can't find any good references on the web, or here. So, if this post isn't allowed, feel free to delete it!

Here's what i know:
    18v Seymour Duncan Basslines + STC-3a (3-band EQ for Active Pickups)
    Lined Fretless gecko neck
    5 string
    neck width at neck is just a smidge under 1 7/8"
    weight, it's slightly heavier than my fender jazz 4
    natural finish with flame (?) top, with a great looking bead pinstripe around the body
    controls are, from what i can tell, a Master vol, a pickup selector, a Mid-Range, and a stacked Bass/Treble control.
    It's in perfect shape, I can't find a ding or scratch anywhere
    has an older rectangular case, and he has nylon coated flats on it.

here's some pics. again, if i've broken a rule by posting this, please let me know and i'll whack the ad

(I did read the rules - *If you post a "feeler" ad, you MUST post a price with it. This is not an auction site - If you want people to "bid" on your item, take it to ebay. Trade feeler threads are allowed, but if it turns into a FS thread, seller MUST post a price or the thread will be immediately closed or deleted.)

Attached Files:

2. TinyE

TinyE

additional pics

Attached Files:

3. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Unless you're actually selling the bass, you want to post this in basses. You have to be a supporting member.

Just a guesstimation, I'd say it's worth around $600 to $700.

Michael

4. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

He looks pretty supporting to me. Usually it's the other way 'round. (Non-members trying to sell in the basses forum.)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

One of the best tidbits of info to have is whether or not a pro-level builder put the thing together. That can make all the difference. If it was a pro who put it together, I think $700 is a very good deal for a Warmoth fretless 5. That is exactly what I got for mine when I sold it years ago. All the parts plus the build for mine was about $1200 new.

Anyway, you should probably list the scale length as well. My memory says that the Gecko 5's are 35 inchers. I would say that for fretless it is somewhat more of a sticking point for some players than for a fretted bass. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

7. TinyE

TinyE

Cool thanks. I'll measure it. He said he didn't assemble it, but hasn't given much info. It plays great and feels nice. The neck doesn't feel massive. I don't like the tones though, and I blame the strings. I'm guessing nylon coated flats are about as mellow as you can go on the bright scale.