1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

need help wiring!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theleteri, Sep 5, 2012.

1. theleteri

theleteri

i am finally able to order my warmoth body since i have decided to go with nordstrand big split pickups. now i need to figure out if it is possible to wire them how i want...

i would like a master volume and a volume knob for the bridge only. i will never use the bridge pup soloed but i would like to have control over its volume to blend it with the neck puckup. my band has a few songs where i fade out and back in and it is far easier to fade with one volume knob... is there a way to have a master that controls both pups and one that controls only the bridge pickup? i don't want a tone knob but i would also like a series/parallel switch. is all of this possible?

2. line6man

line6man

I could have sworn I had a diagram for this on my Flickr page, but I'm not seeing it now. I'll draw one tomorrow if you can't find one before then.

3. theleteri

theleteri

sweet! i know how to do it without the series/parallel switch but i get lost with the switch. logically if it is in series mode the volume pot for the bridge pup would end up being a master volume but it would work normal in parallel, right? i hope there is a way to make it work properly in both modes.

4. line6man

line6man

The series/parallel switch would be wired the same as in a standard VVT setup. The bridge pickup's volume pot will do nothing in series mode.

Basically all you are doing is running the bridge pickup's volume pot into the neck pickup's volume pot's input, instead of the output. Also, you're swapping the neck pickup's volume pot's wiring to vary the resistance of the wiper terminal against the output to prevent the usual variable impedance load when adjusting the volume.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. theleteri

theleteri

oh man, you lost me on that one... that is why i leave the more intricate diagrams to the pros.

7. line6man

line6man

8. theleteri

theleteri

nice. thank you for that....

i just ordered my wormoth body and am very sad to report that they expect it to take 10-12 weeks :crying:

i have saved this to my faves so when the body finally gets here i don't have to scour the site to find the diagram and i will have all the other parts in hand so i can assemble is that day!

i will do a full write-up on the bass when it is complete.

9. line6man

line6man

It might arrive sooner. A lot of people get lucky.

10. theleteri

theleteri

it has arrived sooner. instead of 12 weeks it took 7. i am waiting for the control plate now, then i will go get the pots and switch and wire and it will be able to speak. i just will still need the bridge and tuners to mount her vocal chords... lol

i will start my full write up soon.