1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need help with a repair.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by voodoo92, Dec 15, 2012.

1. voodoo92

voodoo92

Ok so its been so long that ive been on TB that it should be illegal. so im finally back and its all because my sister asked me a favour. Her fairly new acoustic guitar (I know, evil) met with an unfortunate accident and it now has a snapped off headstock. I was thinking of drilling a hole in each piece and using a dowel and titebond then clamping it. Would this be strong enough or even the proper way to do this type of repair? its a fairly messy join left by the split at the moment and there will be bare timber shown afterwards from the missing finish. Help would be appreciated as she has barely gotten into playing again. Pics tomorrow if I can manage the time. Cheers

Adam

2. voodoo92

voodoo92

Also if its brought up that I should search for previous threads, I just spent the last 2 hours doing so. :) haha thanks guys

3. Vincent P

Vincent P

Could you post some pics of the damage so we can get a better understanding of what your dealing with?

4. voodoo92

voodoo92

yeah tomorrow all going well. Cheers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. James Judson

James Judson

What is the guitar worth? Might be better to replace it.

7. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Yeah, replace the guitar. Nicely made Chinese guitars are dirt cheap.

But, if your not concerned about the appearence of your repair, urethane (expanding glue) is great stuff because as it expands, it fills in cracks and gaps. The excess around the repair is easy to sand down.

It'll look like "hell" but it should fix the neck.

Get another guitar. A used one. It won't cost much.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you've done the search, you've read a lot of advice about cleaning out any wood splinters, matching up the pieces, using Titebond (not an expanding glue, and especially not Gorilla glue) and proper clamping technique.

But the kind of break you have overrides all this. Photos will help.

And if it's really a cheap guitar, then if your repair attempt doesn't work, discard and replace.

If it's an expensive guitar, STOP now and take it to a qualified repair person.