Need help with Bach

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tallbassplayer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Tallbassplayer

Tallbassplayer

got the 'J.S. Bach for Electric Bass' book and want to know if anyone knows what Grades the pieces are, in particular Sarabande
    :help:
  2. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Grades? I don't understand the question?
  3. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    What Bach pieces you will be playing in Conservatory Grades???
  4. Sni77

Sni77

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. repoman

repoman

Aaahhh, Bach....
  7. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

I'm not sure what you mean by Grades but I have the same book and it's great, especially to play on the fretless!!
  8. Staredge

Staredge

I doubt that those pieces are graded. You might look at what they were taken from. Don't have my copy handy, but I think some of them are taken from miscellaneous pieces that he wrote (dances & such) and I don't know if those get graded. You might have better luck if there are some taken from the cello suites (I think they might have a couple in there), as you could go back to the original piece and see if it was graded. Not sure that it would correspond, but at least gives you a ballpark. Is the question out of curiosity or are you thinking of using them for something?
  9. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

:D
    Great M*A*S*H reference. You must be as old as me. At least 50.
  10. repoman

repoman

55 here...and good pick up on that, I was wondering if anyone would get it.
  11. glorth2

glorth2

43, I clicked on the post just so say "Ahhhhh Bach...".:hyper:
  12. repoman

repoman

13. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

If the piece is not listed then you have to ensure it has all the elements in it as described or laid out in the syllabus. As you are trying to find its grade worth then it is a piece you have chosen. Do not aim to high over the bar when choosing any "self choice" piece. Examiners are not there to be impressed, they are there to judge you on what you present, they take marks away and mark down to arrive at your score.

So pick wisely and take your teachers advice on choice, I have seen students with the ability to pass.....fail, because they choose a piece that was just to difficult, and in the pressure situation of playing it to be judged failed to come even close to their true ability.
    Playing it and practicing it is not the same a performing it, in performing it you can allow your focus to shift, and before you know it you are making mistakes all over the piece.

Also a little more detail is needed when you make such a post....context is everything
    Depending on what Bach Seranande the movement has been taken and transcribed for bass, there are many choices, and the nature of the exam that is to be graded for, makes trying to give a valid answer easier. :)