1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need help with E string noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by squeally dan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan

Using a 1998 USA fender jazz bass. Noticing that after playing a note on the E string my hand sometimes comes down too close to the neck pickup and makes a loud noise. It's when my hand is coming back down to rest and I land on the low E string too hard. How can I fix this? Do I just need to work on technique and developing a softer touch? Recently I borrowed a Geddy lee bass for a gig, and didn't have this problem.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would agree technique is a part of it but how high is the pickup? What type of strings are you using and how old are they?

3. squeally dan

squeally dan

Will have to check the pickup height when I get home. I don't know the string gauge, but I do know they are over a year old.

4. Tupac

Tupac

I have a weird issue too. When playing the D string, if I hit it too hard above the pickup, I get a loud clicking sound. It isn't normal string noise, I think it's something caused by the string getting too close to the magnet. Don't know about the pickup height, but they're fresh EBs that came with my SUB.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Strings hit the pickup because it's too high, I suggest lowering it.
    I'm king at simple solutions.

7. Tupac

Tupac

No way :eek:

8. Tupac

Tupac

I figured out the issue. It actually wasn't the D string, when I plucked it hard, it would push my thumb on the E string down quickly, and make contact with the pickup and produce a clack from pulling the string in. This sounds like OPs problem.