Need help with extra ground wire on J45 Bill Lawrence pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Jan 5, 2013.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I have the J45 pickups from Wilde Pickups it has 3 wires, White (Hot) Black & Blue (Ground).

Is it best to just:
    1: Keep the grounds twisted together and solder to preamp?
    2: Take Blue ground wires together and electrical tape them off & solder only the black wires to preamp?
    3: Or just tape off the blue wires individually and solder in only the black ground wires?

Thanks!
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The blue and black wires go to ground.

What kind of preamp are you talking about?
  3. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357440990.778314.jpg
    This is the diagram for wiring them to the blend pot. Don't laugh but I am unsure which way is up on the pot in comparison to the schematic. It's a Nordstrand 3b-5a preamp I don't want to screw up even though I am good at soldering.
  4. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

And I know they go to ground...so just keeping them together is fine correct?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes, they can both go to ground. Either on the blend, or any other convenient place if it's too tight on the blend.

Be aware that there is a right and wrong way to wire up a blend pot. They are not symmetrical. If you have a meter, put the blend at the center detent, and then take a reading from wiper (center) terminal to either outside terminals.

One will real almost zero, and the other almost the full value of the pot. The low value side is hot, and the high value side is ground. The other deck will be opposite.

If you wire it up backwards it wont blend right.

Follow this chart I did, but it might not match your blend pot. these were the readings on a Bourns M/N taper pot.

[​IMG]