1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need help with first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WookieeDck, Dec 30, 2013.

1. WookieeDck

WookieeDck

Hello everyone I'm currently a drummer but lately I have found myself drawn towards bass. I'd like to start playing and understanding the role of a bass player better but with all the options I'm a bit lost. I've been looking around for a good starter bass in the $250-$400 range and I found these if any of you have experience with one or all of these your input would be greatly appreciated.

Intended use: I just want to get started most of what I will be playing with friends will be more along the line of metal/hardcore but want something suited for jazz/funk as well since that is more of the route I'd like to go as a bass player.

What I have found:
    [​IMG]

Spector Performer Electric Bass Guitar
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/spector-performer-electric-bass-guitar

$400
    Features
    Body

NS-bass™ shape
    Basswood body construction
    High gloss finish

Neck

1-piece rock maple neck construction
    Rosewood fingerboard:
    24 frets
    34" scale length
    16" radius
    Pearl dot neck inlays

Hardware

Color: black
    Spector® performer bridge

Electronics

Passive tone circuit
    Bridge pickup: EMG SSD™
    Neck pickups: EMG SSD™

[​IMG]

Ibanez ATK200 Electric Bass Guitar
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-atk200-electric-bass-guitar

$400
    Features

Ash body
    ATK4 3-piece bolt-on maple neck
    Rosewood fretboard with pearl dot inlays
    Medium frets
    34" scale
    ATK4 chromed bridge
    CAP double humbucker with 3-position switch
    ATK N2 onboard EQ
    Through-body stringing
    Chrome hardware

[​IMG]

$270
    Features

Bolt-on construction
    34" scale
    Basswood body
    Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
    40mm standard nut
    Thin, U-neck contour
    24 XJ frets
    Chrome hardware
    ESP tuners
    ESP DB-4 bridge
    ESP SB-4 (B&N) pickups w/ESP ABQ-2 2-band active EQ

[​IMG]

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Ray4 Bass Guitar
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/sterling-by-music-man-s.u.b.-ray4-bass-guitar
    $300

Features

Solid hardwood body
    34″ full scale maple neck (rosewood fingerboard with some finishes)
    Medium jumbo frets
    Satin tinted neck finish
    Narrow 38 mm nut width
    Low noise humbucking pickup
    2-band onboard active preamp, cut & boost
    Large heavy duty bass bridge with full adjustments
    Easy access truss rod adjuster
    6-bolt super strong neck joint
    Top-mounted, heavy duty output jack

They are all aesthetically pleasing to me so that doesn't matter I'm just wondering if any of you have advise on one or all and how they preform and hold up over time and their tones. I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

Thanks for your time and patience.

2. LagBox

LagBox

My first bass was a Spector NS2000/4 (kind of like the first one in your post, slightly different shape.) They're really comfortable to play, and pretty versatile tonally.

I'd go for either the Spector or the ATK. If you can find any of these at a Guitar Center or wherever might sell them locally, try them out.

3. WookieeDck

WookieeDck

I've been trying to find any of these at my local GC/ Sam ash but every time I go in all they seem to have in their store is basses ranging from $500-$1000+ which is a bummer because i fall in love with something and BAM can't afford that one haha. I'd like to get my hands on them and see how they feel I'm going to NAMM next month so I think that will really be the time to get my hands on some stuff and check out new gear.

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

The ATK is pretty versatile for what you are doing and sounds damn good. Solid bass all around. No experience with Spector tho.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

Best Cheap Bass on the market today:
    Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. Series - $279.99 at Sam Ash

7. DannyBob

DannyBob

Either the SUB or the Ibanez ATK. Both work well for the metal/hardcore (I play an Ibanez SR300 in a metalcore band) and the bridge pickups will work well for the funky jazz

8. ngh

ngh

I would recommend getting a passive bass with a simple control layout (volume and tone) as a your first bass. less things to fiddle with means more time focusing on playing, and less time trying to get the tone right, not to mention no batteries to worry about. less is more

9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

If it is an option, my advice is to postpone your first bass purchase as long as you can. If you can borrow one from a friend to start learning on, you'll be in a better position later to try out new ones in a store and determine what you like or don't like about them, and you can make a better decision about what to spend your money on. Plus, if (in the unlikely event) you decide after a month or two that bass isn't really for you after all, it won't have cost you anything.

10. brad houser

brad houser

make sure it looks good to you, as in pleasing to YOUR eye. if you like the way it looks, you are more likely to play it more, with greater enthusiasm.

11. WookieeDck

WookieeDck

So far The ATK and SUB seem to be really well reviewed from what I've seen here and on youtube. I Love the way the SUBs look body wise and that finish is just amazing but from some videos/ sound clips the ATK seems to pack some more punch which I like. I was wondering would it be harder to get that kind of punchy sound with a SUB with adjustments to an amp I be able to come fairly close to that same tone the ATK inherently has ? or is it a safer bet to go with the ATK that already had that tone I'm going for.

12. Nivek91

Nivek91 Supporting Member

Get the Spector dude, you won't regret it. They make solid instruments, durable, look awesome and sound even better.

13. DannyBob

DannyBob

Yes, the ATK in my opinion has a naturally punchier sound. To get that in the SUB you would have to raise the mids and lower the highs (as it has a very trebley sound) so an amp setting of: Bass - +1; Mids - +3, Treble - 0.

But that is just me :)

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    LTD for me, nice fast neck, easy to play and good sounds too.