Need help with labeling an amp... Is silkscreen the only option?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I have been building myself a bass amp and it's coming along pretty good. A few hiccups here and there but it's turned out good enough that I'd like to label the knobs and jacks as best I can. In the past I've used Ptouch labels but I would like to give it a little more of a pro look than that if I can. The chassis is made out of raw aluminum. Any suggestions?
  2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I once used heat transferable tone transparencies. I don't know the brand. The system worked so I made a mirror image of the amp front layout on computer and then used a clothes iron to press the design on the front of the amp. The result was pretty nice. I lacquered on top of it though.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you decide to use a separate metal or plastic faceplate there are many commercial job shops who can do very professional looking custom designs quickly. I use Front Panel Express, JGR likes Amplates, and there are a ton of laser etchers out there, such as these guys. I've also seen some cool stuff done with water jet cutting. As usual, "what's your budget?" is an important consideration though.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I bought 2 plaques for venders last week as well as a new ID tag for my dog.
    All three were inexpensive and laser engraved so assuming you are OK with an aluminum face plate this would be a strong candidate.
    Years ago I had a small run of sheet metal chaises for a friend who was building some boutique amps. We had a standard old fashioned silk screen made with custom art and I thought that looked great.
    Lastly, Cesar Diaz made some amps years ago that had a blank metal face with printed paper behind a plexiglass front face. Inexpensive and looked pretty cool.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JFOC

JFOC

7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Thanks guys. I was hoping for more of a DIY thing as my holes aren't drilled exactly perfect and there's lots of them. It'd be hard to correctly map out the locations of them now that they are already drilled. It's be difficult to find the exact center of each. I guess I shouldn't have just went by eye!! JohnK_10 has some really nice looking pedals that he used P-Touch labels for. I may just have to go that route. If this amp works out, I'll spend some time and $$ and have a proper faceplate made up.

Thanks again.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

How are custom effects dudes doing one-off 'screen printing' style graphics on their pedals? I went into a local shop that does a whole pile of custom and boutique pedals and at least one overdrive they had in stock, they had 5 of them each with different graphics and they were all 'one offs' and looked professionally screened.