Need help with my country playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wootenjr304, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304

I play quite a few 1 4 5 type songs and I'd like to add more runs. When I play I usually do the up down style like C-G-C-G-A-C-G-C. It gets a little boring after awhile any help would be appreciated.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Well yes to following the chord progression the other guys are using, however, Country is root five period. More than a chromatic or diatonic run to the next chord will get you fish eyes from the guys.

Country is what Country is.

Now new Country has moved into Rock and eight to the bar is heard. So which Country do you play?
  3. Zoa

Zoa

When going 1 to 5, a common run is 1-2-3-b5-5. Reverse it to go back down. For 1-4, 1--2--3--4. What sort of country do you play?
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Country can also incorporate walking lines. Sometimes they're as simple as 1-3-5-6 1-6-5-3, sometimes more complicated. Listen to Trouble by Travis Tritt for example.
  5. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304

Well I'm not sure what the official name for it is there's quite a bit of chicken pickin with a real slight touch of blues and rock.
  6. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Best advice I ever got was from an old country bass player, he said: "Keep it low".
  7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Redneck Yacht Club has a bunch of cool stuff on it. Tully Kennedy does a lot of cool (and musical) stuff on Jason Aldean's records. Google Michael Rhodes and Dave Pomeroy, great session players you've probably heard thousands of times and didn't know it.
  8. MalcolmAmos

Sounds like it's more new than classic. I think this rule of thumb would work.

Root & five. Need more bring in an 8. R-5-8-5 or R-R-5-5-8-8-5-5 or some 8 to the barre stuff.

Still need more grab some 3's and 7's. As Country is 99% major key a 6 thrown in would fit (as already mentioned). Just stay away from the 2 and 4 except as passing notes.

When you start getting fish eyes from the quys back off. The lead electric will be doing the lead breaks - let him - people go for drinks during the bass solo.
  9. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304

I'm not trying for solos or to outshine anyone I just wanna sound better. I guess u could say its a newer style but some of it is like working man blues and like Johnny cash.
  10. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304

To be honest I have no idea who they are. I play at church and a lot of the songs we do have the country feel to it.
  11. MalcolmAmos

If you are playing at church you may be playing Praise music. Praise is mostly pounding out roots to the kick drum beat. Not much more is needed. Give us the name of some of the songs you are playing and we then can zero in on what you could be doing. In the mean time here is something I posted earlier on how to play Praise.
    With Church music we are there to provide the beat and call attention to the chord changes. Which to me means hit the chord change on the lyric word syllable the change happens on, not before, and not after; dead on. I lock on the bass drum and rely on the drummer for the beat. I do not find pounding out roots boring. Praise music changes chords so quickly and will use as many as 6 of the 7 chords in most of the songs, so I'm busy hitting the changes and keeping the beat. Which is what they want from their bass......

Give us some names of the songs you'all play.
  12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    That's why I suggested you look them up :)
  13. Wootenjr304

Wootenjr304

Thanks I'll definitely use that in the praise music but the songs I really need help with are the congregational songs like I've gotta feelin, Jesus on the mainline, king Jesus, I get joy joy joy. Hopefully you've heard of some of these I know they're older songs.
  14. MalcolmAmos

Google found fake chord on two of the three.

Jesus on the main line; http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/old-time-songs-chords/Jesus-On-The-Main-Line-F.htm

King Jesus; http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jeremy_camp/king_jesus_crd.htm

I see what you are talking about; these are old classic songs that will have a Country feel. However, I'd play them the same way as I outlined for Praise music.

You would have time for some fuller bass lines, but, I would ease into this. Ole time gospel bass is usually less is more. Root-five or root-five-eight is about as fancy as I would get.

I'm sure the other guys will have something to add.

Have fun.