Need help with my newly bought SX bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Madcap, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Madcap

Madcap

I just bought myself a SX bass guitar and amp and try it out after a lot of mixed reviews with a lot being positive. And I can't seem to get the right tone and quality with the amp. There's the options, "High, Mid-High, Mid-Low, Low" which is way different to my old Bass with just had volume, treble and bass. I've fiddled around with it for a few hours now and I can't seem to get the appropriate sound. When I turn the Mid-Low up which seems to be more effective than Low itself it brings a nasty buzz to the amp but when I turn it down it sounds like the Bass is completely turned down. I've fiddled around with the others and the don't seem to help at all. It either sounds like there's no Bass and when I turn it up the nasty buzz that's unbearable comes back. So my main question is, what are the right settings here? Sorry if I don't explain it well, I suck at explaining things and I'm only 13, so. Lol.

EDIT: It could be with the Bass itself because when I didn't have the amp turned on it sounds similar to the, "no bass" sound.

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Do you have access to another amp to try your bass through? Unfortunately, it sounds as though there might be something wrong with your amp.

3. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Try everything in the middle (at noon). It's always a good start and sometime, it sound right that way or with slight changes.

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

How many watt is the amp, what is the speaker size of the amp?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is a common problem with little inexpensive practice amps. It's called the "I Just Don't Have It In Me" problem. Just because the knobs allow you to turn them with all this range doesn't mean it's all going to be useful, but some folks think they should, and they try to make them operate beyond their capabilities. What you should do is set all tone controls to 12:00, turn the volume up to a reasonable but clean volume, then turn each knob slowly up and down and listen to what they do. Once you know what they do, then you can start the process of finding a good sound.

Also, cranking the lows in a practice amp isn't recommended since it takes a lot of the ability to get louder away (lows require more wattage to reproduce than highs or mids). So if you don't have enough low end, you might want to try backing down other frequencies first.

7. Madcap

Madcap

Unfortunately not, my old VOX broke and it's never been able to turn on.

According to the box 15.

This one was more expensive than my old one which like I said above is a VOX, and that one from what I see and hear right now is way better than this SF one I have. I don't want to disappoint my dad because he bought this and my Bass Guitar since the old one stopped working. This has been most helpful, but finding the right sound is getting to be a nuisance. Maybe I'll sell the amp and get a similar one to my Vox because I'm very new to Bass as this is my second Bass and Amp overall and I feel comfortable knowing that Vox works for me.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I only see one bass amp listed on SX's website:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ba1565.html

If that's the case, it likely has an 8" speaker and 15w. Not much by even practice amp standards. Yeah, respect to your dad for coming through for you, but there are better practice amps out there for only a little more money. I use an Ampeg BA108, which is $100 regular price, but you can get them for around $80-85 if you find a sale. 25w into an 8", but it's a better sounding 8" and has a bigger cab for more bottom.

9. Madcap

Madcap

That's the one I have right now, actually. My dad knows nothing about music and estimated what's good and what isn't. My brother who is really good with guitars never heard of them. What you said was most useful, I think I've got it to sound pretty good so far. I'll maybe just hold off with this for a while. It's getting to be Christmas and the fact that he bought it for me would make me sound so ungrateful to say it's not really at a good standard.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It shouldn't buzz with low mids boosted a little. Could be a loose speaker or something poorly designed/executed in the amp getting a rattle on.

The buzz may be coming from something else in the room. I've done it myself. The last one here was the guy's acoustic guitar buzzing away behind the amp.

Try putting the amp in the corner. You get a boost in your low end, using 1/4 the power to get the same bottom as not in a corner. This lets you cut the lowest EQ knob quite dramatically and boost the next one up, usually not by very much.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You know, I think that's a good plan. Your dad did his best and that should be respected. You're alright, dude. Glad the advice is working out for you.

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Jimmy could be quite right. You could be trying to push it too hard but you had the right idea lowering the lows and upping the low mids. As yet it's far from cut and dried you are simply trying to get more out of it than it was made to do.

I second the notion of respecting your Dad. By same token you should get his monies worth from it. Do check it out some more. If it's a rattling lemon you can get a replacement without disrespecting your Dad.

13. Batmensch

Batmensch

You may want to think about replacing the speaker with a better one, maybe it would help, and your dad doesn't have to know about it.

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Could be a plan but you don't want a more expensive rattling amp. Find the rattle!

To see if it's in the bass itself you can take it all back to the store and try another bass.

15. Madcap

Madcap

That's it really. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, to be honest. I was so use to my Vox that I tried to make this sound like that but my Vox was 100x better than this. But I'll hold off for a while and maybe use up some money to contribute to a new one.

16. veecee

veecee

Hi Madcap. Sorry to be completely off topic but I'm considering an SX bass myself (possibly the combo). I noticed you're in Australia. I assumed you bought yours from Rondo music in the US? It seems everything arrived safely, no issues at all (damage, etc)? Thanks mate.

17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It is good to check for any shipping damage. Wouldn't hurt either to just go around with a screwdriver and make sure everything is tight. A screw that holds the speaker in might have come loose or be stripped out. Perhaps they missed a spot with the glue on the inside that holds the box panels together.

+1 to making sure it's not something else in the room vibrating. Try playing it in a different room or outside.

These folks are giving you good advice. I mostly wanted to come in here to commend you for being a level headed youngster with respect for their Dad. Something that deserves a compliment.

It is a bedroom practice amp, it won't ever sound huge and loud, it's not supposed to, but, you should be able to pull a decent sound out of it if everything is working properly. Something in the lowmid frequencies there is causing something else to buzz sympathetically with it, either on the amp or in the room. Happy hunting.

18. Madcap

Madcap

I got it as an early Christmas present, because my dad said he's only getting small stuff this Christmas due to personal reasons. He ordered it from Barratts music, that's all I know. I thought it was kind of rude to ask him where he got it, how much he bought it for, etc.. But my guess is it would of been shipped from Rondo music. Everything is in perfect condition from what I've been told.

Yeah, I've got it to work the best it can be. I've told my brother about it and he said it's just a practice amp and you should wait for a better one in future. I guess I'm only stumped because like I've said countless times, my Vox was perfect for me and I really miss that. Everything was said to be in perfect condition.

19. veecee

veecee

Thanks for your quick reply Madcap, much appreciated. Hope you get to the bottom of your amp issue.

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

Was your Vox a guitar amp by chance? Or do you like distortion tones, etc.? Could be your ears just plain like that sort of tone. Anything that says Vox on it has a certain sound to it you can pick out from any other amp. Even their little practice amps have that certain sound that says, "VOX".

21. Madcap

Madcap

It was a VOX Pathfinder. I'm 99% sure it was a Bass amp. I guess I have adapted to the VOX sound but when I play this one, I can't help but compare the two and have this one probably sound worse than it is.