1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need help with Nordstrand Big Singles configuration

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by g4string, Jan 2, 2013.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Hey guys/girls. Getting a set of Nordie Big Single pups for my A bass. It has Lane Poor pups and an Aguilar OBP1 set up now. The LP's are out (OBP1 is coming out tonight), I plan on running the Big Singles passive. My question is how to config the set up. Here are my options.....FWIW, I have 4 holes to fill. the holes are not on a jack plate.....

1) master volume neck - master tone neck - master volume bridge - master tone bridge

2) master volume - blend - master tone - (maybe a series/parallel switch to fill the hole)

3) master volume neck - master volume bridge - master tone - (maybe a series parallel switch, maybe a dummie knob)

Also, if I did two separate tone knobs, would I use the same rated capacitor for both knobs. It seems like 0.47mf is the cap of choice. I would need two caps if I go this route....just wondering what size cap I would need for both pups. Thanks!
  2. g4string

3. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

I'd go with opt 2, but I am a blend guy.
  4. nickrs540

nickrs540

I would also go with Opt 2. I'm not huge on seperate volume controls.
  5. sevdog

sevdog

I have 1 bass with a master volume knob and a blend knob, it happens to have Big Singles. I find I never touch the volume knob. If I'm playing live I step on a stompbox with a mute.

I think I would prefer to have it wired up like #3. On mine the pickups are wired parallel and while they sound great, I think the option to flip to Series would give me more diversity.

On the other hand, I'm an incessant knob-twidler and am much better off with as few knobs as possible so that I'll spend more time just playing the damn bass.
  6. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Personally, I like the master volume + blend configuration much better than individual volumes for each PU. But, I seem to recall reading that configuration doesn't work well in a passive setup, and in fact it's one of the main reasons to have an onbaord preamp. I'm not an EE, so I don't know exactly why. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me will post an explanation.
  7. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I would say Option 2 is your best bet. The series/parallel switch will be very handy.
  8. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Out of those choices, option 2 for me.
    But in a passive setup, the blend knob will function almost like a switch, giving you five main tones: 100% bridge, 50/50, and 100% neck, plus the two best (IMO) settings: 55/45 and 45/55 (just off center in each direction).

The best option IMO is to get a Nordstrand 3-band.

4)
    Knob1: Vol w/pull for passive mode
    Knob2: Blend
    Knob3: Passive tone
    Knob4: Stacked bass/treble
    Knob5: Mid

Or if you don't want an extra hole,
    5)
    Knob1: Vol w/pull for passive mode
    Knob2: Blend Passive tone
    Knob3: Stacked bass/treble
    Knob4: Mid
  9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

isn't that .047uf ???
  10. dmusic148

dmusic148

VVT. No brainer. I've got a bass with Fat Stacks set up this way and it's killer. Ignore the 4th hole, or put a dummy pot in there.
  11. g4string

I think this is the way I'm gonna go. Prob use a dummy pot to fill the 4th hole.
  12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I have a Jazz with Big Singles and I have it wired passive as a stacker with seperate knobs - Option 1. I happen to like this option and have several basses wired this way. Personal preference and it works very well for me.

Now that I have gigged them extensively, I will say that a series/parallel option is something I wouldn't consider. These pickups are so incredibly hot already with enormous output in parallel. Going to series would be very much over the top. However, this is my opinion, and maybe that would suit your style better.

As always, your mileage may vary.
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

oh man, the thought of routing out an A bass:eek::bag: