Need help with replacement speaker

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Mar 12, 2014.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I have a SWR Workingman 2X12 and the Tweeter is dead for the most part. I am not sure what the rule is in the case of this cab for choosing a tweeter. The 2X12's are both 16ohm but are wired to be an 8ohm cab. Can I get an 8ohm tweeter or what? I am looking to put the cheapest thing in possible with no additional mods like L-Pads or anything. I want to get rid of this cab soon so I just want it to work.

2. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
  3. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Just looking at a web site now and see these Piezo Tweeters. It looks like a drop in fit for what is in there now. Will these work for what I need?

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

As for to plug the hole and make a some kind of a sound, yes.

As for sounding decent, probably not.

The cross-over design dictates what high frequency driver works best, even if the cross-over is just a HPF cap.

Unless You want to improve the sound, the designer of that cab has done the work for You, just use the direct replacement for the most predictable results.

OTOH, it's IMO unlikely that You'll recoup the repair investment if you're thinking to sell the cab, so I for one wouldn't bother with the repair.

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Most horn tweeters (excepting piezos) used in bass cabs have replaceable diaphragm assemblies that run $10-$20. It's usually pretty easy. What make and model is that horn?

7. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    It is a LeSon. Never heard of them till I pulled it out today and saw the name. Apparently a lot of amp/cab companies use the like Ampeg SWR Mark Bass and others. I would say this is a bullet tweeter that is in. I went ahead today and ordered 3 tweeters and will use the one I like best. The cab has a crossover in it. I am not sure the X over point but there is protection. I will have to drill out a bigger hole because the factory is a 2" and these are 3". No big deal. All three tweeters shipped for less than $30.00. I will be using this till I do get rid of it so I should make it work for me and hopefully the next person some day. I went with 2 different piezo's and one bullet. If nothing else a fun project.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It'll probably be fine with at least one of them.

9. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Good deal! I think so as well and based off reviews people seem to think they did a good job. So I will see soon enough. I will update this post once installed, just incase others need to do something similar.

10. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Well I added the piezo tweeter and it sounds good dead quite and smooth. So the $3.00 investment was well worth it. Now if I sell it, I can say everything works as it should. Too me a much easier sell.