Need Help with Upgrading Squire Affinity PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pfautz, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Pfautz

Pfautz

Hi all,

I am a fairly new bassist and my Squire Affinity PJ is my first bass. I really like it a lot, but I am looking to improve the sound some without dropping the money just yet on a higher end bass. I really like the sound of the Fender American Precision Deluxe so I am thinking of upgrading to the exact pickups that are on that bass. I have found both of the links listed below to purchase these. All opinions/pointers are welcome, I am new at this. My questions are: I can only find the Fender N3 neck pickup sold separately without buying the two pack of bridge/neck, will this work? If not, where can I get the N3 Bridge Pickup sold separately? Also, I am looking at upgrading pots, any suggestions on pots that won't require much extra modification to the guitar itself? Finally, with doing this upgrade are there any other things I should upgrade at this point that will compliment what I am upgrading already? Thank you all very much for your time and input.

The pickups I am looking at purchasing:

P Bass Pups
    http://haightashburymusic.com/fende...9719049.html?gclid=CJr_063f7LsCFahj7AodDioADw

Jazz (Neck)
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-3117-002
  2. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Hey. There are people far more qualified than me to advise you here but I'll give it a go...

I think full sets of p/j pickups are uncommon as it isn't "standard". You would always have to buy them separately, this gives you far not options anyway.

The jazz you need is the bridge position, you linked to the neck.

There are a million other pickups out there, don't just jump to fender. Do a YouTube search and see if anything else take your fancy. Do you need to upgrade both?
    Many people recommend Seymour Duncan and dimazzio.

The pots of your bass (and many others) are smaller than the standard CTS that is the go to upgrade. Don't buy these in advance, when you take it to a tech, explain you need good quality same size pots and let them source them, they won't cost you any more.

Happy playing
  3. Davo-London

Davo-London

You're in the wrong part of the forum. There's a section dedicated to pickups. Try there.

Davo