1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by himluis1, Nov 24, 2012.

1. himluis1

himluis1

i went to guitar center n sam ash this weekend looking for a combo amp that could use at church , a few gigs n may be a couple of concerts ... i played the tc electronic bg250 , peavey tour head 450 with 4x10cab , fender rumble 2x10 combo n ampeg 115hp combo amp ... i have from $500 to $800 to buy ... my bass is mim fender deluxe active 4 strings jazz bass, im not looking for any particular brand or sound just something reliable that i can play and move around n take a little beating , something solid ... OPINIONS PLEASE HELP

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

With that budget I would look at a Ampeg PF-500 and a PF115LF.

3. himluis1

himluis1

i heard that the ampeg pf dont have a fuse in case of overload or too much overheat they just shut down and go bad ... if thats not the case i will go with the pf 500 i tried that one and i like it too , but if is going bad too easy im staying far from it

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

The cabinet should be farting out well before you cook the voice coils with voltage. Just use your ears.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Check out the G-K MB combos and MarkBass combos?

7. LarryO

LarryO

If you want a combo, swr redhead, peavey bam and Eden metro are all great combos and can be had for your price range (used). The gk neo combos look great but I have no experience with them. But no one really NEEDS a combo amp, almost all companies make portable heads and cabs....if you're shopping used and you know what your power, volume and flexibility needs are, you shouldn't have a problem finding what you need. You just have to look, compare, read and listen

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

For $800, you can put together a nice rig. I'd go small 300+ watt head and a good 2x12, which would cover most any bar gig, and most non-PA supported rehearsals, unless your guitarist plays a 4x12 rig and the drummer has no sense of dynamics. Buying used gear will get you better stuff.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Heavens, yes! Scour the TB ad CL classifieds for something that closely approximates your needs. You may find exactly what you're looking for but it will be located on the opposite side of the country.

Riis

10. himluis1

himluis1

based on your experiences ... ampeg ??? fender rumble ??? peavey ??? mark bass ??? tc electronics ??? i will like to know more about personal experience... personaly i had a gk mb115 200w combo amp and it was very good and reliable and after that i have a acoustic b200 combo now ... its ok but a bit heavy im leaning towards a small head with either 4x10 cab or 2x12 but need more info thanks

11. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

That's quite a range that you're considering.

I'm really enjoying the BG250. Plenty loud with a nice fat, punchy sound and quite easy to move around. The eq is straight forward, with most of the range offering nice useable tones. The criterion that falls short on your list is taking a beating...it's been noted that the tolex seems to be softer/more delicate than many other amps, so if you're looking at something that might end up kind of ugly from rougher treatment.

It sounds like you have lots of good choices.

Regarding the PF500, there have been a remarkable amount of reports of failures, but if you get a good one, you get a good one, and the chances are that you'd get a good one. I had one for a little while. Nice middle of the road tone...just straight up good sounding bass. If you compare directly to a more colored sound, like GK, it might sound plain, but that ends up being a good thing in the mix.

I'm a 410 fan and also have an RS212. 410's are obviously more difficult to move around. If a given 212 will get you all the volume you need, that would be a nice compromise between 410 capability and 210 portability.

A TC Electronic BH250 and 212 would be worth considering.

12. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

13. benamaas

benamaas

PF-500 and genz benz. focus 212 or 115
    you will have extra money to buy a beer :)
    and the set will rock

14. bodoger

bodoger

15. himluis1

himluis1

ok . ill be on my way to sam ash n guitar center on monday to try some more amps n heads , im between combo or head with cab amd still no clue :s ... i liked the bg250 from tc elec , n fender rumble 350 combo amp ... also peavey tour 450 head ... also ampeg ba115hp so many ...

16. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Just an FYI, LeCover has covers for the BG250 with 1/4 or 1/2" padding.

17. himluis1

himluis1

@drpepper ... i really like the bg250 a lot , good tone , loud enough n able to use direct out for pa in case if big gigs also the tone print is a plus ,only thing was the.cover.but i had a gk mb115 for more than a year and had no problem in keeping it safe , so im really leaning towards the tc electronic , plus im big fan of uriah duffy n jeff kerestes both tc electronic users !!!

18. tabdog

tabdog

I just bought a brand new Rumble 350
    head on clearance at GC for $250. I
    bought it for a practice amp because
    I have always thought the Rumble was
    an entry or beginner level amp. I'm
    not that impressed with the Rumble
    2X10 combo, but it would be a nice
    practice amp. Kind of heavy though.

I was surprised by the performance of
    this amp head. I can run it with my 1X12
    8 ohm Fender cab and it is a really nice
    sounding practice amp putting out 175
    watts. But when I add another 1X12 it
    gets much bigger. It sounds like it is an
    under-rated 350 watt amp.

It is so light that the Fender 1X12 and
    the Rumble head is much lighter and
    easier to move than my Peavey Basic
    40, 40 watt bass amp combo.

[​IMG]

Tabdog

19. himluis1

himluis1

so u will recommend the head. but what about the 4x10 fender rumble cab ???