Need helpdeveloping my practice routine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by trackskinz, Nov 11, 2012.

1. trackskinz

trackskinz Supporting Member

I have been playing about a year, and getting to jam with some various musicians lately several different genres, which is really really helped my skill and confidence.
    I have been practicing 12 bar blues progressions, and I'm going to add 8 bar progressions to my practice. are there some other standard progressions I should be learning? I play with 2 different bands right now: 1 is country oriented, the other is classic rock.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I'll speak to Country.

Country is usually I-IV-V-I or I-V-I-IV-V-I. You may see some "new Country" with I-vi-ii-V7-I.

The bass line is a dirt simple root-five with chromatic runs to the next chord. The chromatic run is; target the next root, leave early and miss the root by three frets then walk chromatically and be on the root of the target chord for the chord change.

On C chord going to F. Sound the C#, D jump up one string to E and land on F for the chord change. Going from F to G. Back up one fret catch the E, F, F# and land on G for the chord change. OK On G going to C. Several ways of doing this, I drop down a string to the D#, D, C# and land on C for the chord change. Piece of cake, it's the leaving early and landing on the target root for the chord change that will take some practice. If you play from fake chord sheet music mark the leave early lyric word. As you know, it's usually one lyric word per melody note or beat, (two syllable words get two beats). Let the lyrics help you with when to leave.

Country chord change is usually a three fret run then land on the target root. This can be a one fret, two or three fret run, we use the three fret run in my neck of the woods. The rest of the band hears the run and this alerts them that it's time for the chord change.

Good luck.