1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need helpful advice on cab design

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Do-Da, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Do-Da

Do-Da

Hi folks. As in title, I would appreciate some advice on finding a cabinet design to build. I know there are a ton of great cabs out there , but I am very cash poor now. The gigs I do seem to be getting are small , semi - acoustic venues mostly. I had to tote my old SWR 4x10 and heavy rack upstairs last week end and about killed me and was way over kill. I have been A/B,ing a lot between my DB and my Dano Shorthorn reissue. I have built cabs before and am fairly handy. I have an 8 ohm EV SRO-L 12" I stuck in an Avator cab I love to death ( not the cab in particular ) . I would really like to find a plan or design for a 1x12 - 1x10 cab w/ a horn . I can pirate the Avatar for hardware and buy a good 8 ohm 10 . I want to run 4 ohms and use my old 80s GK RB 400 again. It actually sounds much better for both instruments that my pricy rack at lower volumes, esp. w/ my old Boss EQ I saved all these years, but I need the 200 watts from 4 ohms for sure. Be grateful for any and all advice and direction. Thanks much , Do-Da
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    There are a couple of folks who are sharing or selling at a reasonable cost, plans for high performance speakers that might not be too expensive. One is Greenboy, and the other is Bill Fitzmaurice. Both of them also have Web forums where the topic of speaker design is discussed extensively.

I have a 1x12 that I built from an Eminence DeltaLite 2512-ii, and which could also accommodate their Basslite 2012 driver. I haven't written detailed plans, but I'll post links to my drawings and a brief design article if you're interested.
  3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    I really hope you can get some directions cause it aint easy brother.
    I did a bit of research & the bit became alot.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oh, I forgot about Duke LeJeune's coffee house speaker design. Where's the thread for that one? Also, one of the sticky threads has a whole bunch of links to DIY builds and designs, including mine.
  5. Do-Da

Do-Da

Thank you. Especially you Mr. Deck. Very kind. You know, you made and I purchased one of your wonderful Pres for my DB on the recommendation of several in the know friends. Couldn't be happier with a product and really saved my bacon. Never a trouble one. Thank you much for THAT also ! As well as being a wizard you are a very good fellow , as I had also heard. I will check these out.
  6. Do-Da

Do-Da

By the way, I have had your pre for at least 5 years now I use with an Underwood pickup.
  7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

TL806 is perfect for your EV! I built mine 12 years ago, and eventually replaced the EV, first with Eminence Basslite, then 3012HO, and really like it! Plus it only weighs 25 lbs, even with 3/4" ply, ABS laminate and aluminum trim!

[​IMG]
  8. Do-Da

Do-Da

Wow! And a great Traynor head to boot! Thanks Scott! Nice compact set up. I am sorry to say that the Avatar cab just didn't cut the mustard. Cheap though. Had an Eminence in there I
    put in a monitor and fine for that. Just didn't have the richness and body of the old EV for bass. I got the SRO from a friend who had in a Leslie in exchange for some plaster work and had it re-coned. I believe just the magnet weighs 23 lbs or so. It is ooold. Worth it though.
  9. Do-Da

Do-Da

Is this a closed design?
  10. Do-Da

Do-Da

I just recalled; I have a friend who owns a fine comp called Cabbage Cases. I have built many a case using AVS and the trim back in the late 70s , the era of the TL box I never really cared for being an old SVT guy. Perhaps he would allow me to come back and build there? I will call ..... unless he has retired by now. Ha ha!
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Do-Da, thanks for the kind words. That TL806 looks like it's worth checking out, especially if you can use your existing driver. It's not much bigger than my little 1x12.
  12. Do-Da

Do-Da

I believe I will follow Mr. Deck's advice and try my hand at building your TL Scott since it will work for my EV and you like it so much. Where would I get the plans ? Thanks !
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  14. Do-Da

Do-Da

Mr. Deck, you are just a champ ! Thanks once again. I am certainly in your debt many times over. You know, I am thinking about selling my rack stuff, an SVP-CL and a Carver 2.0 w/ an old EV Tapco 27 band EQ, and maybe getting a Markbass head. I have heard nothing but good about them and small and light, but I am not sure how they work for DB, which I play as much or more than electric. often I A/B/Y for jobs ... one BIG reason for a smaller amp setup. For some odd reason my old 80s GK 400 sounds a ton better than that whole rack mess for DB esp. Your Pre helped a whole lot with the rack sound , but it's still .... wimpy? Not as lush and rich? Not sure what words to express , but I would imagine you do.
  15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

better to have a larger wider cabinet.
    even better if your head will fit on top without hanging over.

One of the better 1x12 designs is a genz benz design

simple 18h x 21w x 16.5d

use 2 slot ports as them or 4 3" roundports

most 12" speakers wont do more than 130 to 150 watts before 10% distortion so i would not worry about draging wattage out of your head a 4ohms if you need more power you need more speaker and a pair will be 4ohms.
  16. Do-Da

Do-Da

Thanks much Mr. Bogey. Getz Benz is great stuff. I havew a lot to digest!
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

What about looking for a good used cabinet that you can try out before spending the money? Sell what you have and you may come out ahead of the game. There are a lot of really good used options out there now,,,
  18. Do-Da

Do-Da

I am going to try tha option first sir. There is a good used musical equipment store near where I am moving. Thank you.
  19. Do-Da

Do-Da

* Addendum * Worked a trade on an Older Markbass 450 head yesterday. I am extremely tickled with this amp ! Esp. the balanced input for DB. Plenty of pwr for anything I might do and really clean ! Vey small for what you get from the amp. THIS was the amp I was wish-listing for " I hope someday ... " . I am still kinda numb with shock that the deal fell in my lap outta no where. Can't figure out what a may have done that was that good ?? Already named her ; " ' Ol Yaller "
    of course. Thanks everyone for all of the very kindly sent and valuable advice. Cabs next !!
  20. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

You know its important to post photos... How about some of "Ol' Yaller?"