need ideas to cover pickup over route mistake.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arnie, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

I had a fight with my router today cutting my emg35 style pickups. The router bit guide left me short by about 1/8 or so, so I had to manually move move template and fix the difference. Well that didn't work so well with one of my opickup routes.

I assume I can make a pickup bezel out of wood, (really hate to do that) but I would rather see what you guys have done as I am sure this has happened before.

[​IMG]

it may be hard to see but the gap is about 1/8 or more.
  2. smogg

smogg

Center the pup so the gap is even on both sides. That way it won't look like so big of a space.
  3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Moving the pickup to center is the first thing I thought.

Or you could grind a 1/4" off the bass and glue a book matched top on it. This suggestion might be biased due to my preference for a figured top over seeing a racing stripe through the face of the body. However that is an expensive fix.
  4. chiselhead

chiselhead

You could rout the hole even bigger all the way around then glue a block of contrasting wood into the hole and rerout the pickup hole in the center of the new glued in block. Do this for both pickup cavities and it will look as if you intended to have an outline of contrasting wood color around your pickups. Yeah I know that that is a lot of work but then again these type of fixes makes you more careful the first time around, at least it does for me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

Will you be using foam underneath the pickups for height adjustments? If so, make it black.
  7. Arnie

Arnie

Yes black foam. that might hide a multitude of sins!
  8. Beej

Beej

Another idea is to line the sides of the pickup route with wenge veneer (I assume that's wenge on your bass). If you put a thin veneer around the inside edge of the route, when you sand it back, etc, you'll have a small, thin, brown detail inside your routes. If you put a 1/8" roundover on it, it would look pretty hot IMHO... :)
  9. msaone

msaone

How about finishing the cut that is too wide and recenter the pick up in the slightly larger hole?
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

just put a Fender decal on the head stock!:bag:
  11. Itchy 47

Itchy 47

I'd also go this Route,no pun intended.Also measure twice and take your time.It looks like you've put a lot of time into this.
  12. Mister Know Not

Mister Know Not

LOL...
  13. cnltb

cnltb

...and once screening paint or copper foil is applied it may even look deliberate.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

Excellent , this one!!!:hyper:
  15. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

Easiest solution; center it in the cavity.
  16. Arnie

Arnie

lol
  17. Arnie

Arnie

First route I did (Bridge pickup) came out perfect, second template slid.
  18. Arnie

Arnie

Boy, I like that idea! You are right its a lot of work and Im a Newbie.. A Paduak or Wenge? Man that would be cool.
  19. Beej

Beej

My comment above gives you the same result with less work... :) I'd go wenge...
  20. Snort

Snort

I would probably go for filling in the area, and using a wood or metal bezel around both pickups.

Although I also like the idea of putting a veneer edging strip around the inside of the route cavity and centering the PUPS within, you would have to make both routes the same size to pull that off, but with a contrasting wood would certainly highlight against the already stunning looks of those stripes.

Or if you are realy adventurous make Pickup covers from matching woods and carry the stripe through the pickups, obviously making both routes the same size.
  21. Nomad98

Nomad98

Make a ramp, but the fender decal is also a great idea.