1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need ideas to entertain for my 2.9 year old daughter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kulit17, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Like the titles states, I need ideas to entertain my daughter. Tired of walking around the mall pointlessly and going to those indoor play areas. I've done chuck-e-cheese and it disgusting and annoying since it seems people working there don't care if areas are a complete mess. Actually went to a place in Nashua NH with an indoor merry go round and kiddie rides which was pretty good, but would love to hear other ideas from other TB fathers :)
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

we made the rounds of local playgrounds, zoo, aquarium (atlanta has fantastic facilities for both) and museums. i kept the focus on the interractions with my daughter, constantly talking to her about things, asking her things, etc, so it wouldn't get old.

we'd find little things that she really liked - little decorations in a window of a store, or a particular animal or fish in the zoo or aquarium, and then we'd ask her stuff about them on the ride home, or that night at bedtime. then, we'd go back in a few days, and see if the thing was still there, and if we could find it again. made for a fun little game and kept her mentally engaged in the trips, plus removed the need from having to come up with new places to visit all the time.

as my (twin) boys are starting to get old enough to recognize the same kind of things (they're 14 months old now) we're going to try it with them too and see how well it works. their personalities are very different, so it should be very interesting.
  3. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Great points John.

My 5 year old loves to play hand drums, paint, anything creative really. Cooking also! Let her season the food, she will start figuring out what she likes to taste. Have a cookie decorating party. It can get messy, but that is what kids are supposed to do.
  4. hover

hover

Is this for general stuff or is it the winter stir-crazies?

Quality time spent is just that. No need to second guess it. Over-stimulation is a concern too, or builds expectations to keep up that routine. Strike a balance.

I don't presume you don't do this all already, but since you're asking... simply read to her. Hang out at home and just watch a flick. Go on a hike, or a long drive just because, playing "i spy" the whole time. Snow angels. Sledding.

As was said, instill a sense of wonder by engaging in conversation that gets the curiosity flowing. Have fun.
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Try your local library. Sometimes they'll have some childrens programs and you can let her pick some books from the kids section for you to read to her.
  6. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

very interested in this thread. I don't have my older son all the time so I'm always looking for quality activities to do with him when I do have him.
  7. JFOC

JFOC

Was it Jokers? I use to work at the portsmouth one a lifetime ago...

I go for a walk with my niece in the woods outside my place about once a week. Shes only a year old is strapped onto a sled but she seems to enjoy it.

Maybe try tubing? Shes young but as long as your there supervising it should be fine.
  8. bassteban

bassteban

Get her outside early on so she doesn't realize she's bucking the morph-into-the-electronic entertainment device trend/plague. Parks, real playgrounds and play structures, walks in woods and trails- considering her level of mobility- little legs get tired(& naps ROCK)
  9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

My daughter is 3.2 years old, and I've found that the most important thing is to just engage with her. I teach mine bass, or read alot of books with her. She LOVES books. We sit on the floor together and draw, play with blocks and build stuff or kick a ball back and forth in the kitchen. As I live in Southern California, we can still go out alot, and when we do, we go hiking, or to the park mostly.

Most importantly, just be engaged with her. Kids, especially at that age have little emotional gas tanks, and it's your job to keep them filled.
  10. bassteban

bassteban

Tip: May not so much apply to you, but my brood(now 13, 11 & 7)draw SO MUCH that I'm pretty sure we've single-handedly deforested more than our share of the worlds' forest regions... resulting in PILES of artwork. Beautiful, touching moments in time, but again- PIIILES. They can be VERY attached to the stuff if it lies around, and HOWL if they spot their latest masterpiece in the trash... GOD FORBID you toss a *gift*... :rolleyes:we try to pull a few choice pieces per month and recycle the rest. Same general idea can work well for toys if you are blessed w/a troop of collectors, and enjoy the look on their faces when the get a new little thingie... pardon the semi-derail. :rolleyes:
  11. LexD

LexD

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    Some of the activities I do frequently do with my daughter that involve neither computers or television

• Drawing
    • Coloring (crayons, pencils, markers, sidewalk Chalk)
    • Painting (finger painting)
    • Practice with Scissors, cutting out shapes
    • Shrinky Dinks
    • Lego, Blocks, Dominoes
    • Water gun and Water balloon battles
    • Dress up
    • Hide and Seek
    • Spy Missions (Walkie talkies and costumes optional - imagination a must)
    • Cooking
    • Puzzles
    • Sing-alongs (Itsy-bitsy spider, Row Row Row, Your boat, etc.)
    • Story time
    • Tea Party
  12. bassteban

bassteban

This also worked/still works well- let her play your instruments- use your discretion and supervise/teach.. except for hand drums and percussion items( seek bomb shelter:bassist:).
  13. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

My twin boys are just about the same age (now 16 months). We took them to the zoo a couple of months ago, and they enjoyed it, but were still just a bit too small to really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to this spring and summer, though, because we will be trying many of the things that you listed -- zoo, aquarium, museums, etc.

My band organized a fundraiser last week for pancreatic cancer research. We brought the boys to that (we had rented a banquet room in a local restaurant, so it was family friendly) and they had a blast.
  14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Park outside and convert your garage into a kid zone. Kid size basketball hoop, trike and cones, boxes, all manner of balls, and make it as kid safe as you can so they can go nuts while you chill.
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

My first son loved to sit in a Bjorne chair while I played bass and sang to him. Second will have none of that (he's 4 months). Oh well!
  16. BassMom88

BassMom88

Have you been to The Butterfly Place in Westford, MA? That's great for little ones and you get some great pictures!!
    Also Frog Pond on Boston Common can be a lot of fun.

Do check out the Library too as mentioned and for all sorts of special town events. They also may have discount tickets for some Boston museums and maybe some right in your town too.

My husband spent dozens of hours just playing tunes for our daughter at that age to the point where she could recognize any instrument, jazz singer or Beatle....and that's actually what she still remembers the most :)

Enjoy every second - It flies by so quickly!!
  17. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I like this idea :)

I will be following too, as I will be having a daughter soon
  18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Outdoors > Indoors

Definitely anything that involves making noise or a mess.
  19. mc_muench

mc_muench

it looks like your Wal makes her happy.

BTW that is one of the funniest pictures Ive ever seen, it was my background for quite a while, thats not creepy right?
  20. buzzbass

buzzbass

Phart Putty. My 12 yr old daughter brought home a container of it and I was entertained all weekend :D