Need info on Eilte II...(Fender Precision Elite II)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Upstate SC Bass, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass

Hi I just got this P bass probably about 1983
    Nice bass. I have a few questions about it.

First the controls...
    Who would help me with the rear toggle switch as to what it does?

Secondly it is missing the four screws for the fine tuning does anyone know where I might get those?
    Perhaps ones off a Musicman or G&L would fit?
    And it is missing one of the three black rubber covered knobs. I need to try to find one of those.
    Any suggestions or chance of finding these parts?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

3. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass

Thanks 1 bass playin I had not seen that. And will print one out.

It pretty much talked in detail about everything except this. It got about one sentence. It just figures. Haaa

Sounds like the tone control toggle controls the front pickup or the rear pickup or both pickup depending on how it is switched.

That is cool I suppose. I will work with it.

Thank you.

4. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Sweet bass you got there, but not worth the bother, you should just sell it to me. ;-)

Ok, now for something helpful, as I used to own one of these.

You are correct, the back toggle will assign the tone control to one or both pickups. Basically, on this bass the tone controls are like a passive bass, they roll off treble. As such a pickup with no tone control is essentially wide open, or no treble roll off. This can be useful if you play with it a bit.

I usually used mine with the tone assigned to both pickups, however, I sometimes assigned it to the neck pickup only, rolled off the treble on the neck, which left the bridge pickup wide open, then used a pick close to the bridge. This gave me a nice thumps bass sound with a very crisp attack, but without a real clangy type of thing going on.

Good lusk on the fine tuners and the knob - hard to find. The tunes were not really worth the bother IMHO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I used to have 3 Elite II P's. Interesting basses that could cut through pretty much everything. Seemed very well made. The fine tuner knobs are VERY hard to find, even were back in the 90's. People must have taken them off and then lost them. Don't have any suggestions there.

7. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass

Cool. Thanks. So if I put the toggle in the middle it is just a treble boost or cut. But if I put it on say the rear and set it and then put it on the front and set it. What happens to the rear. In other words it is not able to do more than one or it is not leaving the bridge pickup as it was set once you switch it to the front pickup I take it. And the tone control is just a treble control like on any other jazz or p bass. It just rolls off the treble. Am I thinking correctly about it.

As to the thumb fine tuners I wonder if I can just figure out what the thread size is and then get something in there. Kahler or Floyd rose or something.

I imagine no one is making the knobs. Shame too cause they look nice.

Yesterday I had played the bass at church and turned the volume down but forgot that you had to turn two volumes off. Could have been a loud noise but luckily I noticed a slight sound when I touched the neck before It made a wide open clank and realized I had only turned off one volume. This is the only bass I have that has two vol knobs so I will have to take extra care to remember that. Haaaa

8. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass

I got if from an old friend of mine from college who works at a Church in GA and they wanted to sell it.
    Hardly ever played in fine condition except for these parts that got lost along the way.
    But paid $800 so fell like I got a bargain for any old Fender American made bass is worth that.

9. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Yes, you got a great deal on that. I have seen them go for $1,200 or more on eBay, depending on condition.

The tone pot will affect both pickups when the switch placed in the middle. When switched in the down position it will affect only the bridge pickup, in the up position, only the neck. You can't set one and then move it to the other and set that one.

The tone pot is a treble roll off only, so the pickup that does not have the tone pot assigned to it will have no treble roll off.

10. Upstate SC Bass

Upstate SC Bass

Ok...I think I have got it now. Thanks 62 jazz. I appreciate that.
    I was making it too complicated in my mind. Haaaaa

I will enjoy it. It is a heavy bass though but a very nice quality instrument.

What they should have done is have sep bass and treble tone controls with a center detent and the ability to boost highs and lows.

But no matter that is what my sans amp is good for.

11. TonH

TonH

12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Awesome bass, great score......LOVE those basses.

13. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Upstate, this is where to go for all the info you need, great site!

I had a Sienna like the first pic on the site, but with gold hardware. Miss that bass. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388029813.837796.jpg

14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

One of my favorite tones with the Elite II -- or second favorites actually, just behind both pickups and the tone control wide open -- was with the tone control assigned to the bridge pickup only, and rolled off 60-70%, so it's got that dark, burp-y Jaco/Jeff Berlin punch going on...and then dial in the neck pickup volume to about 50%, so you get just a taste of that bright twang (remember, tone control is not assigned to this pickup) and some deep lowend thickness.

There was a lot about that bass I loved...and just enough things I didn't, so after ~15 years I wound up selling mine. But I used it on a ton of recording sessions in the 1980s, and it inspired some excellent performances.

15. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

I remember when mine was in a buddies guitar shop for sale, I was hanging out there one day and a guy came in and was checking it out. Dude could play was better than me, and was getting some amazing sounds out of the thing (including what you described above), and he was like "dude, this thing is awesome, are you sure you want to be selling it?"

It did sell eventually. It wasn't until years later that I came to realize it was my own limitations, both in ability and musical vision at the time, that caused my dissatisfaction with that bass.