1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need input for bass upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TypeOCarnivore, Feb 2, 2013.

1. TypeOCarnivore

TypeOCarnivore

Hey all,

I've been playing bass for about two years now, and I am finally getting set up with a guitarist and a drummer to get a band started. The bass I've been playing to learn on is a cort 4-string action. Nothing special, though for what I paid for it, it plays pretty well with the standard pickups and d'addario strings.

The question I have is this: to upgrade my sound, should I splurge and just buy a new, higher quality instrument (my budget is right around $1,000.00, so I know I have plenty of options there), or would spending $150.00 to $200.00 on a good set of pickups enhance the sound significantly enough that the difference would actually be noticeable, and then get some good amp equipment?

We are looking to write and play Sabbath-y doom/stoner stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help offered to a young, technically inexperienced musician.

TOC
  2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

For 1000$ you should pick up a nice used bass right here on TB. I see ones I would buy every day if I didn't already have too many. Near mint warwicks, EBMM's, fenders etc that would normally run for 1400$ new show up under 900$.
  3. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

I'd go with the pickups and a great amp.

Then consider a fret level some good tuners and bridge.

Buy it all used here on TB and your budget should cover it.

I have $1250 into my whole set up and I guarantee it sounds as good or better than 99.9% of anyone's on the forum.
  4. topo morto

topo morto

You could pay $1000 for an instrument and end up with something that sounds (to you) worse, and might not even be particularly higher quality by some measures.

Rather than aiming to 'upgrade your sound' in some general way, try to find out specifics of what you are missing. Buy and sell a few things and get an idea of what you like. Who knows, it might be that you end up preferring a simple bass like the action - many do - or that you're better off spending the money on effects than a new bass.
  5. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

You could look for a Ibanez SR Premium 1200 or 1400. $1049 new!

24 frets, Nordstrand Big Single pups, ease of playability and a amazing sound!