Need leads for renting a bass in China ASAP

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bopeuph, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Hey guys,

I'm going on tour in just a few days, and now the company is asking me to travel with my bass. I don't have a trunk, and even if I did, the last time I flew to China was over the north pole, and outside temps were at around -100 Fahrenheit. I don't know what that means for baggage hold, though. And I hear airlines still can decline allowing the bass on the plane. Besides, I apparently also need to take my tuba now...PLUS my two months worth of luggage for the tour.

Anyone have any leads where I can find a quality bass with an adjustable bridge and a halfway decent jazz setup and can rent for a few months?
  2. jacochops

jacochops

Contact Rocky at Neolson...neolson.com
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

I would think that for that length of time you'd be better off buying one there. Really.
  4. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

China is not known as the land of real expensive bass guitars. You would probably be better off buying one. If it's a real jewel, take the neck off and ship it home in a small box.
  5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I believe he's looking for a DOUBLE BASS - not a slab.
  6. bopeuph

bopeuph

Yes, double bass.
  7. David Jayne

David Jayne

So they just now told you you'd need not only a bass, but also a tuba?!?
    I still say that if you're going to be there for "several months" you might be better off buying one there. Unless you're married to a particular instrument, the financial difference(shipping +case rental or case rental +airfare, both ways ) might actually make sense. Flying with a DB as a bigshot is tough.
    Look, I know it sounds weird and I've certainly never done it. Just split balling.
  8. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

I second Jacochops' recommendation to contact Rocky at Neolson I have one of the Hybrids. It's cheap and great, just fine for jazz. Or call Sam Shen. PM me if you want it. Don't rent, just buy one once you get there. Way, way less costly than Shens or Neolsons cost in the States. Buy the way, Pops rosin is just fine for China, you asked about that before. Trust me I lived in China before moving to Hong Kong. Good Luck!
  9. bopeuph

bopeuph

Thanks. I've thought about the renting vs. buying. That's up to the company to figure out. But to tell me a few days out that they want me to bring my bass, tuba, AND two months of luggage to the airport (they think I'd be able to buy seats for both instruments), it just shows their organizational skills.

I sent them a sheet a month ago with specific specs for each instruments, and I wasn't even that picky. The bass requests were 3/4 size, adjustable bridge, rubber end on the endpin, and decent strings. Didn't think that would be too hard to locate.

I made a .jpg with my requests this time, with Neolson's contact info at the bottom. I hope they use it.

Nick