1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Need lighter than Genz-Benz GBE 600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brock29609, Mar 13, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    [​IMG]

I'm a huge fan of the tone from my GBE 600. Love the quick & tight lows with mids that sizzle and grind. But, I want something more portable, lighter. What should I try first?

I'm wondering if the Streamliner is too boomy, and if the Shuttle is too modern sounding. ???

Anything 400-600 watts at 4 ohms is plenty for me.

I'll be playing my 4-string Jazz (rounds) and P-bass (flats) thru any 2 of the following:
    • Epifani UL-110
    • Epifani UL-112
    • Bag End S15-D

Anyone who knows the GBE 600 tone have advice for me?

2. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I only have owned the GB Shuttle 3.0, but surely you have thought about the Shuttle 6.2 or 9.2?

I also play a Jazz through the GBE 600 and I have to turn down the mids or hit the mid scoop button - the bark is so much in your face!

Bet you can get some good offers to buy the GBE.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    How would you compare the GBE to the Shuttle 3.0 (tone)?

Man, the GBE is close to perfect with everything at 12:00. I don't cut, boost or scoop anything more than one click or two. Just want something easier to carry.

The wood Genz-Benz rack case that mine sits in probably doesn't help the weight issue.

5. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX- New York,NY
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone |EMG
    Maybe the Shuttle 6.2.. or 9.2

6. The closest thing IMO to the GBE600/750 is the Genz Shuttle Max 9.2. Similar front end with the variable voicing filters and four bands of EQ (although the Max midrange is semi-parametric.

Similar tight, bright grind with the additional of an additional FET channel (along with the tube channel). Genz is no longer in business, but if you can find a used Max 9.2, you will most likely love it. a little smaller than the 600, and about 1/4 the weight.

The Streamliner is a totally different thing... big down low, relaxed in the upper mids.... exactly the opposite of what you are looking for IMO.

In a current model, the GK MBFusion500 or 800 would most likely make you happy. Bigger, deeper lows, but somewhat similar in that bright, grindy top end.

7. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, Kjung. Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear.

Other opinions appreciated.

8. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I haven't had the pleasure playing the Shuttle Max series heads, but my old departed Shuttle 3.0 had surprisingly similar tone characteristics to the GBE - owing to that pre-amp circuit

9. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. FYI, I'm not married to Genz-Benz stuff. Will consider any light head that is in the same tone category.

10. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    I own a Shuttle 6, Shuttlemax 12.2, Streamliner 900 and the GBE600. I love all these amps. IMO the GBE600 sounds the best and has a quicker response. I don't like carrying the weight around but occasionally I still do. My Streamliner paired with my UL410 sounds awesome, I will carry the Shuttle 6.0 as my backup. My UL410 is 4 ohms so either setup is plenty loud. If I have to take two cabinets, I take the Shuttlemax 12.2 and the GBE600 which will drive all day at 2 ohms.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    The Shuttle and ShuttleMax will be quite close. That's the logical evolution with the NeoPak being in between.

12. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    So are the Shuttles the Shuttlemaxes pretty much cut from the same cloth with the Shuttlemaxes just having more knobs to fart with?

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Yes, Max has more eq, 2 channels (FET and Tube) and variable tone shaping filters.

14. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I kinda regret not scooping up the Markbass LMII that just sold in the classified section for $320 shipped. Is it comparable to the ones mentioned above?