Need Markbass cab suggestion for F500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 9, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Lover Gold Supporting Member

Getting an F500 and I am looking for a good Markbass cab to go with it. I am looking for something light if possible that would allow me to maximize the F500's power and something articulate and rich in tone. Looking to do anything from rock/pop to jazz with it. I dont need earth shaking lows or piercing highs but a warm, yet not wooly tone.
  2. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

I have been using the F500 with the MB Traveler 1/15 and 2/10 cabs used together for several years. These are very compact, light and portable. You also have the option of just using a choice of 1 cab for smaller gigs and rehearsal. These are really small cabs so earth shattering lows are out, however the 15 still does pretty good for such a small cab. The tweeters are probably the weakest link with this set up, but I am not a slap happy guy so it's not a big deal for me.

Importantly I have found this set up really reliable, regularly playing classic rock (LOUD) with no P.A. support for several years. A really loud rig with plenty of umph that will cut through the mix easily . These cabs come up as used buys on this side of the pond quite regularly representing great value. Keep an eye on the 'for sale' adds here.

The F500 is wonderful amp, very versatile but sadly no longer available. A future classic i.m.o.
  3. armybass

Thanks Leroy that is great info. I will look into the Traveler cabs. I was a 210 guy for decades. I could see me doing a 210 or pair of them. My Orange rig is 212 so I thinks 10's might be cool. Anyone else?
  4. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

My F500 has been a favorite gigging amp for a couple of years now for most gigs where I don't need anything larger and honestly, it works great with just about any cab I have...it even sounds great with my NV610T. The Markbass filters are very versatile and can adjust to about any style.
    My most used cab combination is an Epifani PS210 on top of a Faital loaded PS115. I know about the perils of driver mixing but this just works and it's tall enough that I can hear myself.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The Markbass 102HF is a very nice cab. Two of those and you'd be all set.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I thought my MarkBass sounded best through my Epifani... but the Epifani's are more scooped and the MarkBass cabs have a big low mid bump, so they are very different beasts. My big rig is my fEARful these, nice and neutral.
  8. marxbear

marxbear

Hi, I use the 2x10 Traveller with my F500. Tight sound and really really light..
  9. KJung

KJung

Nice thing about the F500 is that the powerful EQ and relatively neutral voicing, along with good internal hi passing makes this head one of the 'friendliest' I've experienced with regard to cab matching.

My personal favorite with that head is the (unfortunately discontinued) Bergantino AE212. They come up used sometime. Sounds great with the CN212 also.

It also works well with EpiUL's, since you can use the nice semi-parametric lo mid to bump up that polite low mid resonse in the UL, and the upper band to fill a bit of the hole in the upper mids with those cabs.

Regarding Markbass cabs, I would just suggest to stay away from the 'P' models with the cheap piezo tweeters. The sound OK, but those tweeters fail at a high rate.
  10. armybass

Awesome responses. I must admit I have been a one and fine amp guy for two decades. I was an SWR guy and never looked for any thing else do I am certainly not up to speed on all the amp and cab choices.

I need to go to DC and check out some in person. None of the chains around here have much of a selection on bass cabs.