Need monitor help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky Supporting Member

Since bashing my soundman is pointless* and prohibited (by Talkbass) I am forced to work around him to get the monitor sound I desire.

Current situation:
    - Church platform with acoustic piano, keyboard, electric drums, two guitars (sometimes with acoustic), electric bass, 3 backup vocals, 1 lead vocal, full choir and orchestra.
    - No amps on stage (yet).
    - Aviom personal mixers: headphones/IEMs for keyboard, drums, guitars & bass.
    - I set my Aviom-16 monitor mix with the treble tone adjustment to the farthest counterclock-wise position (off?).
    - Vocals use monitor wedges
    - I noticed that the sound board shows the treble on the bass channel monitor EQ boosted to 3 o'clock.
    - The sound through my Aviom 16 mixer / Atrio M5 IEMs has EXTREME treble (extreme left-hand finger noise).
    - I have a REDDI box going to the FOH.
    - I use an Aquilar TLC compressor (love it at home).

Possible Solutions:
    I need a way that will give me control of the mix that I am getting through my Aviom system. Is there a personal headphone equalizer available? It must not introduce extra noise. I'd like to especially cut the 5,000-10,000 hz areas a bit.

I'd like to set up one of my Bag End DB10s (2x10) on a stand & wedge so it tilts back and gives me the feeling of "real" bass. Even with the IEMs I would be able to feel and hear it. If I do this I plan to run the line out from the REDDI to my bass-in jack of my preamp. Is there a way to mix the bass signal from the amp into the Aviom mixer along with the FOH monitor feed?

I've used buttkickers and find them to be annoying to my joints after a while, expensive (requires separate power), and musically unstimulating.

*He is appointed by the church. I don't know why he still is permitted to run the board since he doesn't care about the musician's monitor needs, doesn't know what bass should sound like and is very negative towards courteous requests. Sorry if this seems like bashing. I would really like to work with him.
  2. valus

valus

Can you ask the engineer to zero out the EQ on his end? That's the obvious solution. Or just move it yourself when he's not looking... :bag:
  3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Rather than try to fight the eq the mixing board's eq by re-equalizing your Aviom mix, you might use something like the Rolls PM351 (or a small mixing board, if you prefer). Your Reddi can feed the mic input on the Rolls, and the Rolls can send the bass signal to the board via its mic through. Then set your Aviom mix so there's no bass in it, and use it to feed the 351's line input.

Wire your IEMs from the Rolls, and use the mic and line level pots to set your listening levels and to balance your bass IEM level against whatever you have in your Aviom mix.
  4. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

The easiest way is to send the bass signal to the Aviom pre-eq from the house console. That way he can keep his treble-boosted house mix and you can get a non-treble boosted signal at the Aviom.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gladowsky

Thanks for the tip. I did consider this. If the signal is pre-eq all monitors will be affected including the wedges which probably need some clearer bass signals - not to mention the growling soundman who will bite if you enter the sound booth.

Thanks again.
  7. Gladowsky

Thanks for this tip. I will definitely look into this further.