Need more output from my Peavey Fury.....Active pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor Hugocat, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Hey y'all.....

I recently bought a Peavey Fury, which I love. I took it to my first rehearsal yesterday and it sounded great, but the output was low.....the other bass player plugged in his stock MIM P-bass and it was much hotter.:help: I'd really like to have something with more output.

I admit that some of it is probably technique - I'm really a Hammond organ player, but I do OK on bass - but I'd like to get a hotter output pup. Would active EMG be the answer? Or those Dragonfire actives that are waaaay cheap??

I'd appreciate any help and advice!

B:bassist:

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Active doesn't always equal louder. If this is the Fury with the pbass pickup, try raising the pickup closer to the strings. If it's the only bass you'll be using, raise the volume if your amp.

3. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Thanks, I'll try raising the pickup. The amp was maxed out: when the other bass player plugged in, he needed FAR less gain to be b more than loud enough.

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1 on active not being louder

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    If the difference between being heard or not heard is the relative output level between your two basses, you need to get a better amp.

I have LONG since stopped trying to "push more air" with "louder" pickups.

7. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    As the other poster already
    mentioned, active pickups aren't necessarily hotter and the pickup may simply be too far away from the strings.

For a cost effective upgrade though, I highly recommend the Bill Lawrence P-46; plenty of output and easily the best aftermarket P pickup in it's price range ($60 brand new).

8. mcnach

mcnach

Or use a Boss EQ pedal as a boost.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

P basses are the loudest basses I own. Is your bass a P, or are you just trying to compete with one?

10. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Thanks guys, this is all very good advice. I've moved the pups very close to the strings now, I'm playing again on Saturday so we'll see. The point made about active not equaling volume is well received and understood!

I'm going to look into the Bill Lawrence P-46 and maybe a boost pedal......I was just surprised by the sheer difference in volume between two p-basses, the Squier and the Fury!:bassist:

11. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

Just be careful that they don't get *too* close to the strings, for two reasons. 1) If too close, you may hit the strings against the magnets, and get a pretty nasty 'click' sound when you play. 2) the magnets may exert too much force on the strings if too close, which can actually kill the vibration of the string, thereby reducing output and sucking some tone!

Out of curiosity, what kind of amp is it? And what kind of band are you using it in?

12. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Thanks Sloppy Phill: duly noted. It's a blues band, 5 piece. The amp is an Ampeg combo: it's not great, but it's more than enough volume when they Squier is being played.....:bassist: