1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need more volume

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thenazz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. thenazz

thenazz

I play a '76 Precision thru an older GK 800RB head into 2 10" Celestion and a 15" Black Widow. Medium size clubs and outdoor gigs. I play mainly soul, smooth jazz in a 4 piece band, drums, keys, guitar/sax. I'm always getting told by people in the crowd I need to turn up but pushing the volume knob past 1 o'clock makes me nervous about frying something. Still want a clean round tone. What would be my best option? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

PA support. [/thread]

3. luiske

luiske

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Try each of your cabs alone, figure which one you like the sound of better, get more of that one, lose the other one. Or lose both and get enough of one you do like the sound of to be loud enough.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I agree with the other two. If PA support is not available, you'll need to look into getting a new rig. A stack of two good 4x10's or a single 8x10 would give you considerably more stage volume.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yep, more speakers. Try an 8x10 or 2x15 cab.
    Ampeg 810 cabs are usually available used for decent prices.

8. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

I have an Aguilar GS 412 with a Genz Benz GBE1200 and it's awesome. Definitely won't need more volume than that.

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Just out of curiosity - are you using the bi-amp function of the G-K 800RB amp with 100W to the 210 cab and 300W to the 115 cab?

10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Crank up the Mid Range knob for stage volume. +1 to the Pa support

11. Troph

Troph

I'm thinking that for indoor gigs, the 800RB likely has plenty of power, but those cabs could be your limiting factor... You might consider running a pair of higher-efficiency matching cabs, like the GK Neo 212-II.

Outdoor gigs without PA support are trickier and not my forte... But I'm thinking the 800RB might not have the power you would need there except for stage monitoring only...

12. someparts

someparts

Double up same type of cab and/or check for phase issues.

13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Its only 300 watts, but they're GK watts. That amp with the right cab(s) is loud, loud, loud.

14. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin Supporting Member

I use an 800RB with 2 GK Neo 212 cabs and it gets stoopid loud at 11 o'clock on the input gain. Use it outside without PA support on smaller gigs. You may want to upgrade your speakers. My .02¢

15. fabubass

fabubass

Pa support. Especially out doors

16. Sartori

Sartori

PA support isn't always available.

As to recommendations... bigger cabs. Get an 8x10 or a 2x15, or two 2x15 cabs. At least if you play a lot of these outdoor shows.

17. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Thats what a PA is for.OMG you must be loud on stage.I can imagine what your FOH mix sounds like...Yeah

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

It is quite possible to have a loud stage and a good FOH mix, especially on medium and large outdoor stages.