Need new pickguard need 1 made whos the best

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by penguineman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. penguineman

penguineman

I need or I am wanting to get a new pickguard for my Fender MIM Bass. It is a 14 hole pickguard and everywhere I look no one has them they all have the style that uses the chrome control plate and mine is built into the pickguard. the reason is there is a couple small cracks started in the control plate area of the guard. I tried to see if the chrome plate style would work with a plate and guard I had laying here from one of my other basses and none of the screw holes line up and the routing for the control plate seems to be off a little. I am not wanting to grind and mar on the bass. I would like to keep it as orignal looking as possible. any ideas or recomendations on who to get ahold of or use to make a new pickguard?? Thanks for reading and look foward to the answers.
  2. Nick303

Nick303

Check out Pickguardian, Tony there just made me a tort P bass plate with a J rout.
    [​IMG]
    Took a few weeks but it's a one off handmade example and the price was right.
  3. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    pickguards.com
  4. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

I just had 3 made by WD Music. They did a great job and had a fast turnaround. I can easily recommended them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

The chrome paneled bases you mention are JAZZ basses. Jazz is a model name.

You, form your description, likely have a Precision Bass. It should be on the logo on the head of the bass. Precision is not a comment from Fender on the manufacturing standards; it is the name of that model.

As for quality, all the above listed makers have similar quality. Order fulfillment, customer service and price are the deciding factors.
  7. Nick303

Nick303

Unless it's a Mark Hoppus Jazz? You need to post a pic so we can see it.
    But anyway if you send a tracing of the original to a pickguard maker they will make it just for your bass, screw holes and all.
    Post a pic anyway, I'd like to see your bass.
  8. penguineman

penguineman

96Ttbird - I know what a Jazz Bass is as I have a collection of Bass & Guitars well over 35 & growing.

[​IMG]
  9. Nick303

Nick303

Ah, I think (!) that MIM Jazzes were all like this in the mid '90's for a while (my knowledge on this is minimal) then they changed to a standard layout.
    My advice stick to its original spec as much as you can, these ones will become collectible, guaranteed. Good looking bass too. Any chance of a headstock detail pic?
  10. penguineman

penguineman

nope not on this one at the moment because that isn't the orignal neck. it's a washburn thats on it at the moment so I can hang it. I'm trying to find a 98 MIM neck for it but haven't had any luck all I've found have been very pricey.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I just got a 9 hole pick guard for my MIA Jazz Deluxe from WD. Nobody else had a listing for it.
  12. Thisguy

Thisguy

I've been using WD since the early 90's and they have never given me a bad product. Always top notch.
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

WD Music, aka pickguards.com absolutely SUCKED for me - easily one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with: crappy products, and even crappier customer service...

Here's an example of their work:

[​IMG]

The original:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  14. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Ok. If you read your OP, your description would lead one to believe you had no clue. Not once did you mention if it was a precision or a jazz.
  15. Nick303

Nick303

You should look at Mighty Mite necks, they're Fender licensed and I'm led to believe they are the best rep necks out there. I got a Dr Parts neck for my P bass for less that £100 though and it's perfect. Shop around, MIM might not be your best value for money.
  16. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jeanie Pickgaurds in Pittsburg, CA did this one.

I think it was $60 or $70 including him creating a new template.

[​IMG]
  17. Nick303

Nick303

Hi Scowbow, tell me more about this bass. Here's mine;
    [​IMG]
  18. penguineman

penguineman

Nick that thing looks good. what pickups are those and are they both the same length or is the bridge PU longer??
    I was wanting to put qp's in but buying in a set it looks as if the bridge PU is longer and I need both of mine for that body to be the same length. I have a couple pr of PU's but they are cheapies and was kinda wanting to hold off and get a good pr.
  19. Nick303

Nick303

Ah yeah, good job you're aware of it though before you spend. You can buy 2 neck pups or 2 bridge pups though if you know the lengths.

My one has Duncan Designed pups from my Squier VM jazz bass, they weren't powerful enough for a fretless but they sound great on this one. I did actually put QP's in the jazz, now that sounds great too.
    I'm really liking the p shape, p neck with j hardware. My perfect bass.. for now ;-)
  20. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

+1

Tony made a custom pickguard for my Fender P5 and it came out perfect.
  21. Nick303

Nick303

:)