Need new playback/practice device

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Slowgypsy, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

For several years I've used my Tascam MP-BT1 bass trainer. Great device. Unfortunately it's just bit the dust. Looking for something to replace it. I've read the review on the newer Tascam GB-10 and that would certainly work.

My question... is there something I can get for my iPhone? Some accessory/app that lets me plug my bass and headphones into my iPhone and play against recorded material?

Thanks....

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

For other folks looking for something similar, last night I found my old Pocket Rockit headphone amp. It plugs into my bass and has a line in (iPhone) and a line out (headphones). I'm able to mix the two signals just fine. Works perfectly for my needs.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

There are many things available but they are also used for other things. The Tascam is a dedicated music player and rehearsal unit, its function is to play, record and let you play along with what you put on it.

It is small enough to put in your pocket and listen to music you want to work on, so see it as an MP3player, it is also small enough to put on your strap and walk about practicing via headphones or Buds...you are not tied to sitting down. And of course it fits in a gig bag or case so again you can practice where you want when you want.

Yes finding apps for phones is a good use, but do not see it as the main use. Phones run many apps and in using your power to play you may find you have no power left to use it as a phone never mind a practice device. :)

Look look at Irig for Apple devices, i use it with garage band and it is cool.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

4. SUPERMAG

SUPERMAG

I use my TASCAM GB all the time. It's a great device. I can load the SD card up with whatever, and practice without bothering anyone . I'd suggest it to anyone. It has alot of other features that you would use too. Its a great tool

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

The GB-10 is a good choice, especially if you need portability. If you're at home with a computer, I recommend Transcribe software by Seventh String. It's cheaper if you already own a computer, and it has more capabilities. Amazing Slow Downer is also popular.

All these allow you to loop and slow down, among other features. Beats the hell out of what we had in the 1970's (LPs). I remember thinking "Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to loop and slow down? Those notes are going by too fast for me to figure them out!"