Need of compressor with OD always on?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Dec 24, 2013.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I always have some type of dirt pedal on, like my Hardwire CM-2, to get some tube grind with my SS amp. I have a cheap compressor (Behringer DC9) and I like the tightening effect. It's much less noticeable with the OD on. Does it make sense to get a (better) compressor pedal with the OD already compressing the signal?
  2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Many ODs already compress ;)
  3. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

That's why I'm asking what adding a dedicated compressor can do for me.
  4. jking138

jking138

If you never turn the OD off then your not really adding anything extra, as mentioned already. Bongomania (TB's compressor guru) on his ovilabs.net (.com?) website suggests turning compressors off when using OD as it could achieve a better tone. Depends how you have them setup I suppose. If you wanted, you could set up the comp to use it as an effect with the OD, or just have it when you use a clean signal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Have you tried switching the compressor and OD around in the signal path. OD before or after comp can sound and behave quite different.
  7. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I've always had the OD before the compressor. The compressor right before the amp acutally. Looks like I'm gonna refrain from buying a better compressor if it doesn't do much after an OD.
  8. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Sometimes a comp before the OD can really make the latter sound better. Lately, I've been trying a comp before AND after my always on preamp/OD. The Boss CS-2 just pushes the Sansamp BDDI a bit while feeding a steady signal to my octave pedal, and the MXR Bass Compressor at the end acts more as a limiter to spare my amp and speakers.
  9. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Distortion is a form of limiting already but having another compressor to shape the timbre either pre or post could make sense depending on what you want. If you think of studio sounds you like there are probably at least 2 stages of compression going on, sometimes many more.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Two suggestions. One, try putting the OD after the comp. Compressing an overdriven signal can "tame" the drive, IME. Also IME, the other way around works fine, Ovnilabs notwithstanding.

Two, try taking that compressor out altogether. Do you still like the tone? Are you still getting that tightening effect that you want? If so, you're all set.

If not, yes you should consider upgrading your compressor. It's difficult to find one that works well for bass. I know this is my snobbery speaking, but I just can't imagine that a Behringer compressor is doing anything good for your tone. I could be wrong.