1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need opinion buying this bass this afternoon (kay)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gjbl, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Gjbl

Gjbl

Is this worth the price? http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4283405379.html. Quick responses welcomed as I'm buying this this afternoon thank you
    If u don't think it's worth the price what shoul I offer? This Gentlemen drives a hard Bargain ..
  2. Gjbl

Gjbl

Taking it to a luthier so this is if its in mint and the end pin blocks are good and what not
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

That's strong money. Definitely have it inspected by a luthier, and see if the owner will let you live with it for a few weeks before you finalize the sale.

The last Kay I had was a '51 C-1 in cosmetically rough shape, which I opened up and structurally restored. I got $750 for it and it took me over a month to sell it.
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

5. Gjbl

Gjbl

Talked them down to 2500 that's still a little steep?
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I agree with kungfu. Having done the Kay selling and flipping thing, $2500 still seems too high for that vintage in that condition. The pics are not high-res. Is that delamination or missing lamination at the bottom on the back? You're wise to be taking it to a luthier.
  8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

SOOOOO much depends upon your local market and demand. Where I live, old Kays are the Blueridge Cadillac and in huge demand. Austin also has a very strong interest in everything musical and Americana. About once a year, I drive out to the midwest and literally fill up my pickup truck with a half dozen old Kays for around $2k.

$2500 for that cosmetic condition and year would be close to top dollar if you bought it from a respected shop. Buy from a reputable shop and you generally know that if you have any issues, you can bring it back and they will stand by it. Spend that much from someone on craigslist and you had better know what you are getting into and accept it. Remember that old beat up Kays are as common as old beat up Volkswagons. They made 30,000 of them, so there should never be any pressure to buy one immediately.

Here is a good reference point for valuing your old Kay bass:

http://kaybassrepair.com/what-is-my-old-kay-bass-worth/

Be very cautious about the craigslist / ebay mindset of, " Jerry Garcia had a red one and it sold for $25,000 and mine is red, so I want $25,000....."

If you have an ipad or iphone and a facetime or skype account, you can call me at the shop and we can go over it together with a live video stream. No guarantees without having it in person on my workbench, but a second set of eyes kicking the tires help a lot.

Good luck!

j.
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    www.condino.com
  9. Gjbl

Gjbl

Ended up paying 2k ... Man I consider myself a ferangi but that guy... Man he's talented at bartering what do y'all think? Apparently it could use 4 or 5 or more hours with a luthier to get the sides back up to spec but it is in working condition..