1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need opinion: Trace Elliot AH400

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Vostre Roy, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Hey folks,

Currently on the edge of purchasing this amp + cab, but I got little to no knowledge about this company (or most bass company, I'm quite new to bass world).

Right now, I'm playing in a metal band, I'm looking for a heavy/crusty tone (lately, I've fallen in love with Exhumed and Anaal Nathrakh bass tone, so thing thrash meet grindcore). Right now, I use an Ibanez SR305 (5 strings, stock pups), mainly play with a pick and I use a Tech21 Sansamp PBDD through a PA (I don't plan to bring my Traynor stack at my rehearsal place, or anywhere).

So, how much would you pay that? (I won't say publicly how much the guy is asking)

Also, do you think that this amp will suit my need? I'll go give it a try tomorrow, but maybe you guys can give me a heads up.

Cheers, here's the picture included in the add

[​IMG]

2. Schlyder

Schlyder

Man, go give him your money NOW. LOL The head is worth whatever price you are likely going to pay. AH400 GP12smx is a great amp.

PS if it's in Canada, and you decide not to buy it.... I want dibs.. please PM me.

3. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Yes, I agree, this would be a score. You can make it work for any genre of music you choose to play. :bassist:

4. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Actually, I'm pretty sure of taking it, seriously look like a killer rehearsal/gigging amp (maybe even recording with the DI out and the effect loop to run my Sansamp). But I'll tell you if I ever sell it ahaha

Cheers, this just fuel my temptation even more :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I've got a Trace rig (AH500x, 1048 and 1528) - you gotta move on that deal quick! They're awesome.

7. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Talked to the guy on the phone. Tomorrow after work I'll go give it a try. Will probably show up with the money in my pocket.

8. searchfunction

searchfunction Supporting Member

If you can get that amp and cab for less than $600, I'd jump on it!

9. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

The guy is asking just a little over that, since I'm in Canada and amp usually cost more here than south of the border, I'd say I'm not being screwed here :D

10. Schlyder

Schlyder

Sweet... in Canada. :p Hear that... I get dibs... :D

You will want to use this on stage. It will shatter your guitard's and drummer's souls. hahaha \m/,

I have an AH250 GP12smx. Believe me, you will not be disappointed in that head. And if you decide you don't want it... I will take it off your hands. So you have a no lose situation. ;)

11. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Well I'm still a little far from you since I'm from the best part of Canada (Quebec that is :D ahahah) but yeah, if I ever sell it you'll be the first to know. I still have to try my Traynor once I'm done fixing it

As for TE tone itself, the previous bassist of my main project had one, can't recall wich one but it was between 140-180w of power going through a Groove Factory cab. Never really cared for her tone at that time, since I was focusing on my guitar tone, but I know that the head was just enough to be heard with my Randall RM100 (100w) and the other guitarist's Peavey 3120 (120w), so I'm guessing that the 400w this amp deliver should be enough to be heard :bassist:

12. Schlyder

Schlyder

That 400 watts is more like 700 - 800 watts ( @4ohm)
    Trace watts are way understated.

13. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

I've read this on several website, and this is far from driving me away from the amp/company :bassist:

14. Schlyder

Schlyder

Well, I may be stretching it a bit. But it is wayyyyyyyyyy more than any 400 watt amp you have heard before.

15. searchfunction

searchfunction Supporting Member

Now I want a Trace amp. Dammit!

16. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Well, those are the numbers I saw online, so you don't seem to stretch it much :D

I (and my bank account) was kinda hoping that you guys would drive me away from it... now I can't wait to be done with work tomorrow lol

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

WHAT? Quebec is STILL part of Canada????

Whoda thunk!! :D

18. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

...kinda ran for this one a little :cool:

19. IPYF

IPYF

How's your back?
    The 1048H is a great cab but it's f*cking insanely heavy for its rating.

I'd say get it if you love the Trace tone. Being a metal player primarily I'm not sure it would be my first choice but there's no doubt it's a versatile unit.

20. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

If that ad were in California and not Canada, I'd be doing my best to A) convince you that it's junk, and B) ask for the seller's contact info so I could remove the temptation. But since it's not even in the same country...BUY IT.

21. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    That rig is a MONSTER!