1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need opinions for next bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duff84, Feb 2, 2013.

1. duff84

duff84 Supporting Member

i play in a rock, funk, psychedleic band. Were just finishing up our first album in the studio. Im looking for a second bass right now to use with this band, right now i use a precision bass with d'addario chromes flatwounds, i love this tone, but im looking to add something different to the mix. Im looking for something different, ive tried jazz's there nice and all but seems everyone these days plays them and im looking for something different, ive tried many bass's in the past, spector, warwick, musicman, schecter, dingwall, modulus, etc.

Im just looking for opinions on what you guys would think would be a good match for the type of music i play. Im thinking of getting either a warwick corvette, spector euro 4lx, or perhaps a musicman stingray or bongo (i miss my old bongo).

Im just wondering if you guys have any experience with these bass's in the genres ive played, ideally id like a nice cutting tone, warm, aggressive. Im looking for the next bass i purchase to become my number one. Im sure this type of post has been done to death, im just looking for other peoples opinions.
  2. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

I think for what you play and based on what you have, a musicman stingray 4 in any of their configurations would work really well. The two basses that immediately come to mind when I think funk and rock are stingrays and precisions
  3. ModulusQ5-122

ModulusQ5-122 Supporting Member

Lakeland 44-02 would be good also.
  4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Thunderbird!
  5. Marton

Marton

+1
  6. duff84

duff84 Supporting Member

I never even thought about the lakland maybe I'll give it a test run locally.
  7. topo morto

topo morto

Do you use any effects?
  8. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Alembic. I have an Excel that would do nicely.
  9. Topspin

Topspin

Grab a corvette.
  10. justjake

justjake

+1 on the alembic, also valenti's are really nice well built basses.
    FWIW
  11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Ric 4003
  12. Wallace320

Wallace320

Think about Jamiroquai's Stuart Zender's and Nick Fyffe

Or Bruce Dickinson's SkunkWorks Andy Carr and Chris Dale

Cheers,
    Wallace
  13. duff84

duff84 Supporting Member

I don't use effects. I like the looks of Warwick bass's. I don't like ricks I hate the body on them. Every lakland ive had was incredible for build quality and tone. I'd consider a sterling hs also. I considered a thunderbird but I'm not sure how well it would work for my genres.
  14. qervo

qervo Supporting Member

Carvin SB 5000
    Yamaha BB series
  15. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

This to me sounds like Warwick or Musicman.

Two other cool sounding basses for those styles of music I think would include an FBass BN5 and Rob Allen MB2... YMMV
  16. topo morto

topo morto

Time to start, maybe? A new bass isn't going to add anything different to the mix. It's just going to sound like... a bass.
  17. qervo

qervo Supporting Member

Lol.. Good point. If the bass made you play differently, we all would have gone out and purchased a Jaco replica .
  18. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I think you've answered your OWN question.
  19. duff84

duff84 Supporting Member

True I also miss the Spector I had a stingray I had lol if it wasn't for money reasons I'd probably still have a lot of those cool bass's I had. Thanks for all the replies guys.
  20. duff84

duff84 Supporting Member

I'm thinking the corvette double buck or a stingray/sterling/bongo hh.