1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need opinions on Hartke VX cabs, quick!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sumaru, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Sumaru

Sumaru Supporting Member Supporting Member

So I found a used, in good condition, Hartke 410 VX cab for $100. I already have a 4.5XL which I LOVE..question is, will they play well together? I have a Hartke 5500 head and want to get full power out of it....would any of you pair these two considering the price?
  2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I had the 410 VX and its a decent "starter" cab, but nothing great. I think you can pair the two with decent results, at that price, not much to lose.
  3. Sumaru

So not so great results as a standalone cab? When not gigging, its likely the VX would reside at the practice spot and the XL at home...safe.
  4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Where are you?
    I wouldn't want to undercut a TB seller but I have been trying to be rid of a Vx410 in great condition for a -long- time. I like it fine but I got something better suited to my 1000W amp...

The local high school (with a jazz band program) never returned my phone call. The local 'musical instrument redistribution' charity had no idea what a bass speaker cab was, but they were pretty sure they didn't want one.

If you're within 100 mi of Philadelphia I will give you mine -free-.
    It's going to Salvation Army tomorrow otherwise.
    I need the floor space...
  5. Sumaru

Good God...I wish I was closer...but I'm in Dayton, Ohio. Wonder if I can get there and back for under $100 in gas?
  6. Sumaru

Wonder what shipping would be on that? I'd gladly pay it if under $100!
  7. ArtechnikA

See - that's the thing...
    They're too expensive to ship despite being excellent values.

There's 50 million people within 100 mi of Philadelphia (I looked it up) and I literally cannot give this thing away...

I love the sound - it's a great cab, but it's a 200W cab and I wanted to be able to turn up past '2'. I never did, which is why it's still in great shape ;-)

I know people in Dayton but we have no plans to meet until late spring. Probably longer than you want to wait. $100 is a good deal IMO - go for it.
  8. ArtechnikA

This is your quest...

The weight and dimensions are readily available at Musician's Friend and Sweetwater. Plug those into the shipping estimators at UPS, FedEx, and GreyHound. Greyhound is relatively convenient for me if it works for you. I'll pick up the cost of packaging (although I wouldn't mind if you offered to offset my out-of-pocket a bit...) if Greyhound worked for you.
  9. Sumaru

I will definitely look into this!
  10. Sumaru

So it turns out FedEx express saver comes to $60.14; Greyhound is $82.65. I would certainly help offset your cost. However, Hartke's site says that cab is 400 watts. You say it is 200?
  11. ArtechnikA

I thought I saw that somewhere, clearly I was mistaken...

Sweetwater says It's NLA.
    Musicians's Friend says it's 400W
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/hartke-vx-series-vx410-400w-8ohm-4x10-paper-cone-bass-speaker-cabinet
    The label on the back of my cab says 300 (picture available upon request...) So - who you gonna believe ;-)

If you read the stickies, you'll learn that there are two kinds of limits - thermal limits, beyond which the voice coils melt down, and excursion limits (typically smaller...) beyond which the cone can't provide the demanded travel (" i.e. - 'fartout' " ).

So - pick a number you like... I agree with the opinions that it's a fine 'mid-level' cab. It'll get you out of the bedroom, but not into arenas. I've posted pix of the cab in my 'for sale' thread which is in every post I make. Go have a look. I'm OK if it's not what you're looking for.
  12. Sumaru

It certainly looks fine..however, I'm running an HA5500 ( ~350 @ 8 ohms) would that VA cab survive so long as I don't push it too hard?
  13. ArtechnikA

Vx...

_any_ cab will survive if you don't push it too hard...
    Use your ears... If it sounds like it's distressing - it probably is...

Seriously - I used it with a Hartke LH1000, but never pushed. It's a practice setup for me - '1' or '2' has been fine... It gets good and loud.

Many will say there's nothing wrong with a Vx410 that another Vx410 won't cure ;-)...
  14. marko138

marko138

If you and Sumaru don't work something out I'll meet you half way between Philly and Harrisburg this week and take that off your hands.
  15. ArtechnikA

We're talking.
    I'll let you know.
    Not much halfway...
    Hershey ?

Sumaru has first crack, and he will be following through on his initial commitment to check out his local deal, so everything is pending until then...
  16. amimbari

amimbari

the VX is rated at 400:
    [​IMG]

and I can't understand why people will not want a 100 dollar cab -- I got 4 of them for less than 500 bucks and use a 410TP on top of the VX with the tweeter disconnected.:)
    [​IMG]
  17. ArtechnikA

Evidently, some is and some isn't...
    [​IMG]

Donno. Maybe it's the weight and everybody wants Neo. Maybe it's the sub-kilowatt power handling. Maybe it's the mouse fur.

The _only_ issue I have with mine is the sub-kilowatt power handling ;-)... I'd keep it as a small-venue workhorse cab or monitor for venues with FOH - but I just don't have the floorspace!
  18. amimbari

amimbari

wow, look at that...your's must be the first gen same with 2 of the 3 of my 410TP's I have 2 rated at 200 and one rated at 400
  19. marko138

marko138

Hershey works for me. Just let me know.
  20. Joedog

Joedog

There's a guy out of Indy (Biscuit Miller) who tours with one (if he still has it?). I've seen him several times, including outdoors. Surprisingly good tone, volume, and punch, with a variety of basses. He uses an older style Hartke head as well. Heck of a bass player. Joe Bonamassa's old bass player (Eric Tzar (sp?) used to run an aluminum coned Harke 410 with a paper 410 (maybe an Eden?). The tone was killer...the best of both worlds in one stack. Saw him live once......WOW!