Need Opinions On rack preamp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brenner182, Mar 23, 2014.

1. brenner182

brenner182

About to be back out and playing on the weekends again, Wanna go back to a rack mount preamp for a gigging Classic rock band.

I have a ampeg pf-500 now, But i think it's on it's last leg. It randomly shuts off during practice and the last gig i played, it died on me as well. Thankfully I had my MXR M-80 DI and a extra poweramp on hand for the 3rd set.

I like the Mxr, but i would not want it to be my main pre-amp.

So here is my rig so far

Fender MIJ p bass--> MXR BEF--->MXR m-80 DI---->(fill in preamp here)--->Crown XLS Drivecore 1500.

Cabinets options:
    Mesa Engineering powerhouse 410
    or
    Earcandy Bassbomb 212

I will prolly mainly use the Mesa because i dont wanna scratch up my 212, Unless a bigger show comes up that i wanna bring the nice cab out for.

Also other bass options are my SX jazz clone, A Epiphone Thunderbird with Hipshot Drop tuner or Squire HM-5 and lastly, My Ibanez BTB405qm (which is for sale!!!!)

I think I covered every detail so far. So Now i need to figure out which preamp to try out next. So far i have owned the Following:

Peavey Tour 700
    Sansamp BDDI
    Ampeg Svp-Bsp (might look for another)
    Sansamp RPM (might buy again)
    Fender TBP-1

Yep, i think thats it. Ok TB wizards, Do you magic!

2. Cirk

Cirk

Look into the F/A Amps Fluffy Bottom bass pre. They build some really nice gear.

3. thebassguy86

thebassguy86

I use an Ampeg SVP Pro preamp. It's loaded with 4-12ax7's and 1-12au7. Solid Ampeg tone through a sweet pre. Considering selling it though. Fridge and 8-sp rack are getting HEAVY, considering my practice amp is a Markbass CMD121.:hyper:

4. Andrevx

Andrevx

I don't about your budget, but you should consider:

Eden Navigator WP100 (tube/solid state) - extreme versatile

Demeter (I forgot the name, but it is the oldest model) - I think you like the tone

Peavey Alpha bass tube preamp - No longer in production (but you could find used in very good condition and price).

BBE or ISP bass preamps, but you need check if you will like the tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go with the Mesa. 1000% better cab.

Which did you like and why? what kind of tones do you want out of the pre vs your MXR?

The fender might be a good contender. I actually like the tone I get from my Aguilar TH pedal as a pre. I know you already have a DI pedal, but you could run one clean as your base tone, and then build a dirty sound over it with the other.

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

I also use an Aguilar TH pedal as a pre and I really like the tone and it can do the classic rock thing, IME. If you're looking to go rack mount though, maybe consider a SansAmp VT rack mount pre. It would give you the Ampeg vibe which would be great for classic rock, IMO.

8. Cirk

Cirk

Just noticed that you mentionend earcandy. Under no circumstances would I advise ordering from them. Do a search and you'll see why. OTOH, Mesa makes a fine product and has excellent CS.

9. Mcnailit

Mcnailit

I love the Demeter pre. It's warm and has a great di built in. They are very honest. What you put into them is what you get out of them.

10. brenner182

brenner182

I already own both the mesa cab and the earcandy cab. While i bought both used, I called Earcandy to see about getting a slip cover and they were nothing but helpful. Also, I love the sound of my 2x12. While many on here will rant and rave about mis-matched drivers and what not, I really like the cab. It sounds so huge for such a small cab. I just dont wanna bring it out anymore because it's getting all beat up. Which is a damn shame because it is a beautiful cabinet.

11. brenner182

brenner182

Do those have enough power to drive the poweramp fully? I've read about some where they say the input power is not enough to put the crown to full power

12. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I had good experience with TBP-1 in the past.

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It has more than enough to drive my ProLite. Not sure about the crown.

14. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Media:
    I just got the Tech 21 VT Bass Rack and could not be happier. It sounds better and more svt-ish than my SVT-7 Pro.