Need opinions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zalech13, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Zalech13

Zalech13

Hi, I'm a drummer/guitarist who dabbles in bass and is looking to actually buy a bass and get a little more serious about learning it. I've been researching/shopping around and found what I think might be a great deal, but I wanted to get some opinions from seasoned bass veterans because I'm not sure.

The bass I'm looking to buy is a used one that is for sale at a local music store near me. It's a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass and includes a hard shell case. They're asking $450 for it. I first saw it online and thought "Wow, that sounds like a steal!". So I went to the music store and tried it out... it plays just fine and looks to be in good shape, EXCEPT that when I looked at the back I noticed it has two rather prominent cracks in the finish, one on either side of where the neck meets the body of the bass. One of the cracks is about 8 inches long and spider webs out a bit, and the other is about 3 inches long. This made me pause as I don't know a ton about guitar finishes and just how serious that damage is to the quality of the instrument. I wouldn't expect it to affect how it plays/sounds, and I'm pretty sure it's just cracks in the finish and nothing structural. I'm willing to live with those cracks, but I'm just hesitant to spend that much money on something I know is damaged unless I know for sure that it's worth it. So, with that information in mind, I was hoping y'all could give your opinions to the following questions:

1. What's the general opinion on Fender Deluxe Active J-bass? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
    2. Do you think that the deal they are offering for this bass is a good one, or am i getting taken for a ride? If it weren't for those cracks I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes, but with them I'm just not sure.
    3. Suppose I do end up buying this bass. Hypothetically, is there a good way to repair or at least patch those cracks besides refinishing? And, just because I'm curious, if you have had your guitar/bass refinished before, how much did it cost?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

With those cracks no... not worth it. 8 inches long? Those cracks will just get bigger and what caused them in the first place? Sometimes people adjust the necks on their own and overtighten the bolts on the neck. Or perhaps abused the neck somewhat. Hard to tell too how much damage has actually taken place without really looking at it.
    I wouldn't buy it.. not really a steal anyway. Used Fender Deluxe Active Jazz basses can be bought for that price easily (or even lower)
    Here's a link to one at GC for $439. just pay tax and shipping (about $20). Plus they have a 30 guarantee. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...-JAZZ-3-TONE-BURST-MEXI-109514942-i3396351.gc

To answer your other questions, I would recommend giving it a try at a store first. Some like it, some don't. I personally like the passive J-bass but then again that's just me. Definitely try it first.

To answer #3- it can be expensive. So it's not worth buying the bass for that price. Just buy one for that same price or less without the cracks.
  3. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Disclosures:
    Bassist, writer, teacher: Matthew Harris
    If it plays & sounds good & you like it, haggle him foen due to the cracks. Just make sure you look around. Chances are you won't regret it because of the crack but might when you find an even better sounding bass. Just make sure you shop around
  4. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Disclosures:
    Bassist, writer, teacher: Matthew Harris
    Down not foen!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrentB

BrentB Supporting Member

I agree, I would stay away from it. There are so many other decent basses out there in that price range. If there are major flaws in the finish of this bass, the chances are QC was on break when this one left the line and other issues may arise down the road as well. Also the resale value would be limited and make it difficult for you to flip later on.