1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Parametric EQ Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rasbass, Nov 6, 2012.

1. rasbass

rasbass

Hi All-

Playing in a jazz combo with my Kay Chubby Jackson bass, realist PU into FDeck into Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0. Quite satisfying sound and playing except at the higher volumes- my D string gets too hot (starting to feedback), from around Eb to G, which seem to be frequencies roughly 75-100 hz as best I can determine.

The shuttle has a "parametric" equalizer that says 150 hz- 2khz range, but does not seems to help much, as I assume it is addressing frequencies about the problem area. As a consequence, I am considering adding a parametric EQ.

I am open to other suggestions (I have read about physical changes to address resonant frequencies on the bass, but all impact tone), but short of that, I'd like input as to which parametric EQ might best address my problem.

The Empress and the LR Baggs both seem capable of addressing my problem and then some (extra features) but both are pricey. Other suggestions for EQ? Other non-EQ suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen

May I suggest you dump the Realist and try a Full Circle.... Then report back to us....
  3. rasbass

rasbass

I have the full circle on my 4-string; swapping it out for a try-out is in its future, although I am quite keen on the tone the realist gives.

While I am thinking about it... might there be an advantage of running them both (full circle & realist)? Blending?
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Get the Empress and be done with it nothing more versatile and if you don't like it people go crazy for it here
  5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I've been using an Empress ParaEQ for almost 18 months. Great tool - never leave home without it. Every now and then I unplug it just to see if I can get by without. Damn thing gets plugged back in PDQ.

[​IMG]
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Rasbass,

Unfortunately, you have two things going against you. The Realist dosen't work nearly as well with multi laminate instruments, so using one on that wonderful Kay CJ bass you own, probably won't get you the optimum sound. The other problem you're going to have, is using the Realist at higher volumes, because the more you increase it's volume, the worse it sounds IME, IMHO.
    I have had great success using a Headway EDB-1 pre amp in conjunction with a QSC K8 powered speaker, but I think that moving the Full Circle over to the Kay may yield the best overall results, unless you a doing lots of Arco playing.
  7. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Another great pedal is the Nathan East pedal
  8. rasbass

rasbass

The Realist tone on the Kay CJ is very satisfying for me at low and medium volumes (quartet). The problem is only when things get to the louder volumes -full house, noisy jazz lovers (I know- hard to believe).

I will have a chance to swap it out next weekend. Based on the comments I received I am optimistic that I will get the better volume, just hoping not to lose the good sound I am getting from the Realist.
  9. lsabina

lsabina

I use a VFE Rocket EQ. I like it.
  10. rasbass

rasbass

I don't have any experience with a parametric EQ and am wondering if something like the Rocket, with one band of fully parametric (and two with fixed EQ) will suffice for my Kay CJ UB (with a myriad of acoustic quirks) or if I would be better off with a pedal with 3 bands of para EQ, like the WMD or Empress (quasi "full" parametric).
  11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

For db or ebg? Or both
  12. lsabina

lsabina

Good question. I can only comment that often one's sound is defined mainly by mid-range characteristics. Another one-band parametric EQ that seems to be quite popular is the EWS BMC (Bass Mid Control). That would seem to be targeted to those who already have some control over lows and highs. I haven't tried it, though.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Rasbass,
    Hopefully you'll find an EQ device that will help at with the Realist higher volumes, but from my experience I'm not sure that's even possible. As you turn the Realist's volume higher, it's characteristic warmth starts to disappear, I'm not sure what causes it but that's my experience.

Ric
  14. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Search for a used Fishman Dual Parametric Direct Box. Fabulous piece of gear. Full parametric 2 channels. Nice thing is both channels are switchable to cover the whole audio range. What I don't like about some parametrics---one band may be 20 to 500hz, the next from 400 to 2k--and whatever. Sometimes I need to do a few things in just one range. Like with my FC for some reason I always have to notch it at about 70hz. With the Fishman I can then also do a smooth boost or cut in an other area below 400 hz.
  15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I'll second Mike's recommendation. I bought a Fishman, and love it. Each channel can be switched in or out of the signal path independently, which comes in very handy!
  16. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I got into a Soldering Iron Frenzy and bought and built a BYOC 3 band Parametric EQ. The tiny components and dense board required a fine low wattage tip, thin solder, and wearing a magnifying visor, but I'm quite happy with the results... especially designing the fun artwork.

[​IMG]
  17. Jazzdogg

Very cool, Mr. G!

I'm craving a 2- or 3-band parametric that allows me to engage/bypass each band individually via footswitch.
  18. rasbass

rasbass

Very cool. Two questions: how hard was it to put together? How well does it work for you?
  19. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I would not recommend the assembly as a project for someone new to kit building. It ain't brain surgery, but precision soldering tools and skills are a must. It's a pretty tightly packed board; the construction manual is downloadable from the product page.

It works well for my personal needs; I like clean midrange details along with tight but round lows. Like any parametric eq, it's only as good as the person twisting the knobs.
  20. Jazzdogg

Couldn't find it. :crying:

Got a link? :help: