1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need pickup/pre advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassgenius, Dec 9, 2013.

1. bassgenius

bassgenius Supporting Member

Greetings, I have a Conklin USA 6 string with Bart DC pickups (with series/single/parallel switches for both), and Bart preamp. I've had it for about a year, the tone is ok but not very natural sounding. I want to replace the pickups and pre, but I can only afford to do one of them right now. I'm not sure which to do first. I find the pre to be VERY unmusical if moving eq knobs any more than a slight turn away from the center detent. The pickups have a decent sound, albeit with quite artificial midrange sound (that typical Bart midrange that everyone seems to love). I find myself trying to eq out that midrange sound, but it's not possible. I want to keep the DC 3 way switching, so I will probably go with nordstrand DCs (there's no way I'd get any other pickup, Carey is simply the best). Not sure what I'd get for a pre, probably a glockenklang (or something that I can do more EQing without sounding like I'm strangling my bass).
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

When unhappy with a preamp, I typically recommend to go full passive and see how it works for you. It's free and worth a try.
    However, if you don't like that phaser-like mid tone in the barts, it may not work for you.
    EMG preamps typically work wonders with Bartolini but then again, if you don't like the pickup in the first place, choosing a preamp is pretty much a lost cause.
  3. bassgenius

bassgenius Supporting Member

I can bypass the preamp, I don't mind the passive tone, but it's not amazing by any stretch. Also I'm really anti EMG.