Need pointers and advice restoring old hollow body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RickRocks, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RickRocks

RickRocks

I picked up an old Japanese made hollow body bass from like the 60s or 70s. It's really rough and I want to fix it up a little.
    It looks like it was painted with a brush by a 2 year old, so I want to remove the paint and prep it to repaint.
    My question is how should I go about stripping it and prepping it for paint. Also the top and bottom are coming apart from the side in places. Would it be alright to just reglue an clamp where t has come apart or should I try to get it all the way apart to reglue the whole thing.
    Any tips, pointers, or advice are welcome. Thanks!
    I added a couple pics. One shows some of the damage and the aweful paint job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. StayinTime

StayinTime

Hi

Doesnt look like the pics showed up.
  3. RickRocks

RickRocks

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Looks like Latex house paint. Also looks like you have seam separation on both the top and back or atleast the binding.

Buy some Citrus strip at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart etc, and strip that stuff off. Safe, non toxic, works like a charm and smells like Oarnge Julius...LOL. Then you will have a better idea how much work you are looking at.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickRocks

RickRocks

Sorry for putting that in the wrong forum...
    I'll pick up some of that citrus strip. Someone suggested to me KleanStrip but I'm a little leery using a strong stripper. You think if the citrus strip doesn't work that KleanStrip would be a logical next step?

Oh I wasn't hungry on my lunch break so here's how the bass is looking now. Ready for some love!
    [​IMG]
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Any paint stripper made for fine furniture won't harm the bass. To fix that curled wood you'll need to saturate it with steam so it doesn't crack when you clamp it down. It will be fine if you inject glue as far into the crack as you can. I would use a hypodermic to inject it. Use hide glue for the repair. Cool old bass and looks like a fun project; lots of potential. To me it screams for gold metal flake!