need preamp upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeffreyjrj, Dec 24, 2013.

1. jeffreyjrj

jeffreyjrj

hey guys, so after looking around for a while i decided to buy myself a new cort A5 custom Z for Christmas. since i managed to get a bit of a discount on the bass i have some spare change left over to upgrade it a little. nearly every thread on upgrading these basses recommends replacing the preamp.

the stock pickups for the cort A Custom Z is mk-5CBC and i have heard good things about them so i'm probably going to keep them.

if anyone else has some experience with these pickups i was wondering if you could recommend what preamp would mesh well with them.

some of the ones i have been looking into

-Bart NTMB
    -Aguilar OBP-3
    -something else?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Bart for sure. I'd also keep those pickups, I have them in my Lakland. They can do just about anything.

I do like Aguilar preamps as well, but I would choose a Bart over Aggie simply because the Aggie lacks an output level control trim pot. It's not a problem if you don't care about matching output levels with other basses, or if your output is already low enough to not overdrive whatever you plug into. It's sure a nice feature to have though.
  3. irbass

irbass

MK works better with bart.
  4. jeffreyjrj

jeffreyjrj

thanks for the input guys. i will be going with the bart NTMB preamp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ex-tension

ex-tension

Could you elaborate on that?