1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

need preamp upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeffreyjrj, Dec 24, 2013.

1. jeffreyjrj

jeffreyjrj

hey guys, so after looking around for a while i decided to buy myself a new cort A5 custom Z for Christmas. since i managed to get a bit of a discount on the bass i have some spare change left over to upgrade it a little. nearly every thread on upgrading these basses recommends replacing the preamp.

the stock pickups for the cort A Custom Z is mk-5CBC and i have heard good things about them so i'm probably going to keep them.

if anyone else has some experience with these pickups i was wondering if you could recommend what preamp would mesh well with them.

some of the ones i have been looking into

-Bart NTMB
    -Aguilar OBP-3
    -something else?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Bart for sure. I'd also keep those pickups, I have them in my Lakland. They can do just about anything.

I do like Aguilar preamps as well, but I would choose a Bart over Aggie simply because the Aggie lacks an output level control trim pot. It's not a problem if you don't care about matching output levels with other basses, or if your output is already low enough to not overdrive whatever you plug into. It's sure a nice feature to have though.
  3. irbass

irbass

MK works better with bart.
  4. jeffreyjrj

jeffreyjrj

thanks for the input guys. i will be going with the bart NTMB preamp.
  5. ex-tension

ex-tension

Could you elaborate on that?